Honored Contributor

Ok, I'm not so dumb that I don't know what this means.

I just started on meds that I will probably be taking the rest of my life.

Take 2 capsules, twice a day, with food.

I'm really struggling with my morning dose.

I get up at 5, I'm on the road at 6.

I'd rather not take it at work, I'm trying to space it 12 hours apart.

I usually eat supper around 6pm.

So what's a good simple "food" to put on my stomach?

I tried about a half cup of cereal with milk but milk is not a good thing to take with meds unless you've been directed to "take with dairy"

I've tried other foods, toast with butter & jelly, even a peanut butter & jelly sandwich but it's more food than I want on my stomach that early in the morning.    I have lots of digestive problems.   Don't want to rock the boat.

Any suggestions?

Valued Contributor

I buy bags of animal crackers and put 7-8 in those little snack size baggies. They keep well, are tasty with a nice crunch, and don't upset my stomach.

Regular Contributor

Can you eat some fruit?  A protein bar (or half a bar)?  A hard egg?  Half an english muffin?  Some type of protein (bacon, ham, chicken)?  Sorry, it's all I can think of that isn't dairy.

Honored Contributor

Crackers? A granola bar?  One of the "breakfast cookies" I see advertised. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

how about a teaspoon of almond butter or peanut butter? 

Respected Contributor

The cereal and milk sounds ok to me.  I have not heard that dairy is a problem with taking meds.  I often  eat some yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast, then I take my meds.  

Ask your pharmacist for advice if you are not sure.  Can you say what med you are taking?

Respected Contributor

One of those smaller containers of yogurt (like in the Dannon 4-pack) would be enough without making you feel full.  I'm lactose intolerant, but I can still eat yogurt with no problems.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

@software. I have a similar problem with my meds.  I am retired so that helps.  I have 1 to take on an empty stomach, 1 no milk for 2 hours and the rest with food.  All to be taken in the morning.  My night meds have their rules but I can have milk then.   I have talked to my doctors about this and it is something I have to do.  No change in my meds right now.  I enjoy my milk.  I am so glad I do not have to give it up.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard that dairy is a problem to take pills with.  I take pills all the time with a swig of milk. 

If you want to continue to eat the cereal with milk, I would ask the pharmacist about taking that particular pill with milk or google whatever medication you are taking and milk.  Like "Ibuprofen and milk"

Honored Contributor

I've heard that some meds bind with the calcium in milk and blocks the absorption.

But I always gave my kids yogurt when they were on antibiotics because it hurt their tummy if I didn't.

I am going to ask the pharmacist next time I get a refill.    

The paperwork that came with the meds is as long as your arm, but nothing specific in regards to "take with food"

The meds are specific to my disease and I'd rather not say.

All these suggestions are good ones!

This is all so different for me, I've never had to take meds on a regular basis.

@PinkyPetunia