Respected Contributor

Started radiation treatment

[ Edited ]

I had the first of 30 radiation treatments for breast cancer today.  I have had one complete cycle of chemo, surgery (lumpectomy and lymph node removal), and am on a second round of 14 immunotherapy/chemotherapy (Kadcycla).  I guess I will go on a hormone blocker (HER2+) after the radiation.

Can anyone say how it went for them?  The radiologist said she likes patients who had chemo first!  She said they were not much bothered by radiation!  Having to go every day is a pain, and trying to fit in the chemo will be a challenge for a bit.

I am more than ready to complete treatment after so long of not feeling well!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Started radiation treatment

@hyacinth003 @Congrats for getting those first steps behind you! You sound like you're definitely going to win this battle! Hang in there! I'm wishing you much love and perseverance, my QVC Forum friend. 

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for you @hyacinth003 . Knowing you are strong  patient and will recover quickly.

Occasional Contributor

@hyacinth003 first off...my prayers as you fight this battle. I had the same surgery, then chemo and radiation. The radiation was easier than the chemo for me. The biggest hassle for me was fitting in the treatments with my work schedule. The treatments are quick. Parking, undressing, redressing and walking back to the car take more time than the treatment. As far as radiation burns, I read a lot of scary stories, but I had very minimal skin discoloration or discomfort. Find a wire free, stretchy, but loose-fitting bra (if you must wear one) to avoid rubbing. Follow directions re: soaps and creams to use/avoid. I am sorry you are having to go through this. Prayers for mental and physical strength as you transition through these stages of treatment. 

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 , sorry to hear you are having to go thru all this. I 'm praying for your full recovery. Take care. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, I thank you for sharing your journey with this @hyacinth003.Heart I think talking about it and sharing about it helps others who are or might be going thru this at some point, and I hope it does for you too, so I thank you. I hope this all goes faster than you could have hoped and you get on through it to feeling so much better!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 

I haven't had this but just wanted to post my best wishes for you that the treatments won't be too hard on you and that you can tolerate them well.  Blessings!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 , sending best wishes and healing vibes your way.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 Happy to hear your update.   If you recall I told you I have been down this road also.  Very similar situation as you.  I found after chemo radiation was a walk in the park.   Though you may experience tiredness and skin irritations you will do fine, I am sure.  For me my skin was very red and felt like a sunburn.  I could not wear a bra and if you are able to get away with it just wear a 100% cotton tee shirt through it all.  Follow the doctor's recommendations such as using Aquaphor immediately after treatments.  It really helped me with discomfort.

I know it's a long road, it was a full 9 months for me with surgery, chemo and radiation.

The light is there at the end of the tunnel and you are getting very close!  Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

IMG_0354_Original.jpeg

@hyacinth003