Trusted Contributor

My cardiologist is sending me for a cardio pet/CT scan next week and I'm a bit nervous to say the least.  Anyone familiar with this?

Honored Contributor

@chlema,

I've had one a a month or so ago and another soon. It is was one the easiest tests I've done.

The instructions I get are can only drink water 6 hours before (thank goodness) and eat mostly high protein and low carb (I had to think what protein do I have in refrig lol?!).

Then you get a short infusion of the radioactive something. I actually don't even remember this too much-it was so quick and not really painful. Then you wait 45 minutes while it soaks in. They gave me a warm blanket and it was like being in a spa actually on a fairly comfortable bed.

They told my daughter she could stay but some prefer to leave so no exposure to the radioactive stuff (I guess it's like an xray when they have others leave the room). My daughter said she would stay but I had her leave. I think I may have taken a nap in between texting with her. They were so nice it was one of my good memories.

Then you are in just like a ct-not totally covered, like an mri. They had a beautiful scene up aboe on the ceiling. Then it was done. It may be a little longer than just a ct, but not by much. Then you go home and feel fine.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Thanks @on the bay , that makes me feel better!  I'm all for napping lol.

Super Contributor

@chlema I had a Pet scan a few years back. The one thing the tech did was had me put a washcloth over my eyes. It helped with relaxation while in the scanner. 

Super Contributor

I had a PET done a few weeks ago, looking for a tumor causing Cushings Disease.  It's just like a CT or MRI in that you go into the round machine.

The only thing that shocked me was I had enough dye injected that I was told I'd be radioactive for six days and not to be around children or pregnant women.  It killed me not being able to see my grands that long (we live around the corner).  Other than that, piece of cake.

Trusted Contributor

@FatCatinCT wrote:

I had a PET done a few weeks ago, looking for a tumor causing Cushings Disease.  It's just like a CT or MRI in that you go into the round machine.

The only thing that shocked me was I had enough dye injected that I was told I'd be radioactive for six days and not to be around children or pregnant women.  It killed me not being able to see my grands that long (we live around the corner).  Other than that, piece of cake.

Wow, 6 days!  I was told to stay away from children for a few hours.  That long a time - almost a week, would be a problem because my 8 year old GGS lives with me and 5 days a week we have baby GGS here.  Yikes, I would have to be a hermit in my room!  Maybe it depends on the amount of radioactive stuff they inject?

Respected Contributor

@FatCatinCT 

On October 26 I too had a PET Scan.  Afterwards, I was told to avoid children and pregnant women for SIX HOURS.  Are you sure it wasn't 6 hours?  I was also told to "double flush" the toilet, so people that live with me could avoid the radioactivity being flushed out of my body through my urine.  The technician told me that these are precautions.  She didn't over emphasize them at all.  I think she was duty bound to tell me all this, but it may be one of those "in an abundance of caution" messagew with little data to back up the cautions. 

Valued Contributor

I have a PET/CT scan every three months because of uterine cancer that has spread. Been doing this since 2014, so am very familiar with the procedure.

No food or drink 6 hours before the procedure--blood sugar must be under 200 for the injected dye to work accurately.

The injected radioactive dye takes about one hour to go through the body (I do word searh puzzles while I'm waiting in a special area because of the radioactivity). Once in the machine, the test takes about 40 minutes. You are only radioactive for 24 hours--I have a card the hospital gives me that says just that in case I'm stopped by the police (my radioactivity might show up while we travel over bridges)--I was told to keep my distance from little children and pregnant women.

For the CT scan part, I have to drink a little barium--it just outlines my digestive system for the radiologist--gives him/her perspective of where my organs are.

The PET/CT scans use x-rays, so nobody should be in the room with the patient.

It's not a test to be afraid of---I've been through procedures 10x worse---oh, and I have to keep my arms above my head the whole time--I think that's the worst part!

Good luck!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Somewhere in these tests I'm guessing will be the stress test part since the doctor said it's been 4 years since I had one.  That one was entirely different than what I am getting on Friday though, just a scan of the heart with a small scanner rotating slowly, then injected with something that makes your heart to beat rapidly, another injection to return it to normal, then back to the small scanner.  Friday it will be the pet/ct one, ugh.

Respected Contributor

@chlema   Good luck with your procedure.  Hoping for good results. Heart