Contributor

I wish Marlo Thomas would end by saying "any contribution will help" in addition to a specific amount per month, e.g. $19/month.

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I think The Shriner's have the most on right now...

I see twice as many comercials for the Shriners than I see for St Judes.

Honored Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I think The Shriner's have the most on right now...

I see twice as many comercials for the Shriners than I see for St Judes.

Jan 2: I'm still seeing animals who are shivering and cold 

with 'Silent Night' playing in the background. 

Honored Contributor

Probably because there is more competition now.  Shriners also has tons of commercials and donors probably aren't going to give to both of them. I don't think all the ads are desperate, I think it's necessary.  They need donations to continue with their mission.   

Honored Contributor

Does St. Jude still do the Telethons like they used to or has commercials replaced the need for those?

Honored Contributor

Re: Marlo Thomas - St. Jude

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Probably because there is more competition now.  Shriners also has tons of commercials and donors probably aren't going to give to both of them. I don't think all the ads are desperate, I think it's necessary.  They need donations to continue with their mission.  

Shriners has numerous hospitals around the United States. I know the Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia has one of the boys that was seriously injured in Canada. His junior hockey team was on a bus and was hit by a truck in 2018. The accident killed 15 players and injured 14. The boy came to Shriners Hospital for rehab. 

On vacation last year we went past the Shriners Hospital in Tampa, Florida. There are more than 20 Shriner Hospitals for Children. So I understand why they are advertising. 

Respected Contributor

I don't see it as a desperate action when asking for money for sick children. Like a lot of places needing donations all the commercials keeps it out there.

Honored Contributor

I did notice they were on TV constantly this season. I checked them out and they indeed are legit and help people who have no where else to turn. Looks like they do accept insurance if your insurance will pay and you do need to be referred by a doctor and it's best if St. Judes is your first stop for treatment. It's a shame people have to beg the public to donate money so their children can be treated for cancer.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I did notice they were on TV constantly this season. I checked them out and they indeed are legit and help people who have no where else to turn. Looks like they do accept insurance if your insurance will pay and you do need to be referred by a doctor and it's best if St. Judes is your first stop for treatment. It's a shame people have to beg the public to donate money so their children can be treated for cancer.

Of course St. Jude is legit!

You thought that St. Jude wasn't legit, and that Danny Thomas, and his daughter Marlo was pulling a scam????

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@blackhole99  Yes, they have been around since the early sixties when founded by Danny Thomas. They are legit and of course need to ask for funds.