Trusted Contributor

Mediterranean Diet Repeats as Best Overall of 2020

Best Overall: The Mediterranean diet took first place, followed by:

• The flexitarian (mostly plant-based) and DASH diets tying for second place
  • WW (formerly Weight Watchers) in fourth place. It assigns point values to foods, with more nutritious choices having fewer points.

Best Weight Loss Diets: WW got first, followed by:

• Volumetrics (emphasis on low-calorie but filling foods) and a vegan diet (no meat, no dairy) tying for second.
  • Flexitarian took fourth. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Re: Mediterranean Diet Repeats as Best Overall of 2020

The Mediterranean Diet has always seemed to.me to be the best balanced and most sensible. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby @Kachina624 I combine those two -  I never transitioned to the WW points plan and still use portion control from an old plan and choose Mediterranean foods which is how I like to eat almost always.

That worked for me to lose 55 pounds.  I have only a vague idea how long that took -  about a year I know, but once I'd done the first 10% for the health benefits I concentrated on learning to control my cholesterol intake and being able to walk longer and faster.  

I'm still using my combination -  right now to slowly lose the couple of pounds I gained over the holidays, but I also use the combination for maintenance.  

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops 

Excellent!! The walking gets easier once the weight starts coming off. I was walking last summer 2-3 miles, three to four days a week. I was slimming down.

I like to eat, and portion control is my downfall.  I am a proponent of the Meditarian and mostly plant-based. I try to fill up on vegetables but too many bad carbs (pasta) are my downfall, and fall off the wagon easily! 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBabyThe walking has gotten easier -  not what someone else might call good, but I measure me against me.  I'm healthier today than I was 3 years ago -  that's not something lots of women my age can say.

Trusted Contributor

@millieshops 

They say strive for 30 minutes, at least three to 4 times a week. More if you can.

Brisk walking is cheap and manageable. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBabylol   It wasn't manageable when the vascular surgeon suggested a mile a day should be easy.  I didn't think so and I started where I was -  250 steps.  Now I have the mile and 3 more years that the surgeon says "No surgery."   

Some days I do more, but if so, I split the distance.  Some years ago when I had built myself up to 3+ miles, it felt good until it didn't.  I ended up with months of pain and therapy -  and more sedentery years until the last 3.  

Trusted Contributor

Good for you @millieshops ! Keep it up Woman Happy

I'm on a mission too, and being more responsible to what goes in my grocery cart. I make this chopped salad to snack on throughout. 7825E176-1EAF-4744-A85D-7A301415FF93.jpeg3DCF2335-7E80-42E9-90AE-782B1492A1C3.jpeg

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

I get results with Mediterranean diet. My body responds well. Left on my own with no supervision -- I am a carb queen. Also - 5:2 diet works for me. I control my 1250 calorie a day intake -- with the exception of two, 500 calorie days. Our bodies are different. Without a gall bladder -- I eat little or no meat and go with mediterranean and some potatoes and pasta. Can't give it all up! 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

We have followed the Med diet since it came out and love it.  It makes sense for us and for the way we like to eat.  

If you don't like the foods on any eating plan or if they don't satisfy you (feed your body and your "soul" and your cravings to some extent) you won't follow it.