Honored Contributor

I will never let a doctor give me a medication before I check the side effects

My doctor prescribed ZONISAMIDE for my chronic headaches. Since I started taking it about 10 days ago I have been lightheaded and my body hurts more than usual, my husband says I have been short with him and my sleep has not been the best. I will no longer just let someone write a script for me. Grrrr

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: I will never let a doctor give me a medication before I check the side effects

@I am still oxox Oh that's a shame. Be sure to report all of this to your medical provider.

Honored Contributor

Re: I will never let a doctor give me a medication before I check the side effects

@Love my grandkids  Thank you and I have I do not let anything pass

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@I am still oxox Oh that's a shame. Be sure to report all of this to your medical provider.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

The problem is, side-effects vary from person to person.  You don't know what yours will be until you've tried the drug.  There are usually alternatives, and f8nding the right one can be a matter of trial and error or you could require a longer period to adjust to a medication.  Your doctor is your best source of advice.  I'd certainly let him know what you're experiencing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 I have already consulted my doctor, I would never stop a medication without their knowledge, and a list of the side effects would give me a clue if the med is right for me. This is a med for chronic headaches so just add it to the laundry list of what I have taken and failed at. 

@Kachina624 wrote:

The problem is, side-effects vary from person to person.  You don't know what yours will be until you've tried the drug.  There are usually alternatives, and f8nding the right one can be a matter of trial and error or you could require a longer period to adjust to a medication.  Your doctor is your best source of advice.  I'd certainly let him know what you're experiencing.

Super Contributor

Agree with Kachina 100%

Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox  So sorry to hear about your experience. I think we patients feel like guinea pigs at times, like  we are not supposed to question a script, just to take it.

There is the website ask a patient dot com and you can find info there about people's experiences with meds. 

Honored Contributor

@piperbay Thank you I will look at that website

@piperbay wrote:

@I am still oxox  So sorry to hear about your experience. I think we patients feel like guinea pigs at times, like  we are not supposed to question a script, just to take it.

There is the website ask a patient dot com and you can find info there about people's experiences with meds. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have any particular suggestions but aren't there alternatives to meds for controlling chronic headaches?  Acupuncture, chiropractor, etc., etc.???

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 I have been trying to treat them for close to 4 years I do not believe in chiropractors. I did three rounds of Botox when they first started.v I have been doing acupuncture twice a week since December its not long lasting. 

@kaydee50 wrote:

I don't have any particular suggestions but aren't there alternatives to meds for controlling chronic headaches?  Acupuncture, chiropractor, etc., etc.???