Honored Contributor

Re: I will never let a doctor give me a medication before I check the side effects

[ Edited ]

It seems so many drugs are prescribed routinely and it is always

shocking to me to see how many side effects they can have.

I know the drug manufacturerers have to list many but when a doctor says oh he or she hasn't heard from pts that they had any problems. Or this med shouldn't cause that side effect.

Then when you look up the medication it is one of the first listed!

I think not too many drs pay attention to the consequences of side effects until or unless it is reported after it has been taken.

I use to say I would try anything once. I do use askapatient and I also always ask the dr now what are the side effects. Then I look on my own.

I'm not willing any longer to take something for anything not life threatening when it creates problems that I didn't have before!

So if I try it and have side effects that to me are unacceptable, I stop

and always let that dr know how it affected me.Then I will try an alternative or ask about a more natural non drug use.

I've gotten very untrusting of the just prescribe this or that without considering the consequences.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: I will never let a doctor give me a medication before I check the side effects

[ Edited ]

I totally agree, I never agree to take anything unless I do my own research first. We all need to be our own advocates. 

Respected Contributor

It's been my experience in the past that my local pharmacist has had additional information about prescribed meds.

Once when my child was in high school, a pulmonologist prescribed 4 times the recommended med amount for my child's asthma. It was the pharmacist who caught the error for us. And several years ago, a doctor prescribed a med for me that was not supposed to taken with a med I was already on & had listed on the doctor's office documents. Again, the pharmacist let me know the error.

Have you ever been in a doctor's office when a pharmaceutical sales person is there? Sales. Although it's now illegal for doctors to receive $ for prescribing meds, drug companies can still give them incentives.

Doctors should be closely researching meds that they distribute.

Doctors are human; they're not infallible gods. When my father was ill b4 he died, we always looked online to learn about the meds he was prescribed & asked questions when we had them.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox Good. It's so important that we be pro active when it comes to our health.

Honored Contributor

@pinkcrystal The OP stated she has notified her doctor.

Honored Contributor

ALL DRUGS have side effects, but not all people will experience them.

Even over the counter drugs have side effects, including vitamins and supplements and cough syrup.

There is no way to know how the drugs will affect you before you take it. All RX drugs come with information including the possible side effects.

Just call the doctor.  There is probably another drug that can help you.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox , I get migraines and have to be very careful about any OTC meds.   I diffuse peppermint oil and it works wonders for me...in case you want to try something else until you can get the meds straightened out.

Super Contributor

@piperbay You are NOT "a Guinea pig" unless you volunteer to be in a controlled medical research study. Prescribed medications have been extensively  and scientifically researched before they can be prescribed to the general public although some are sometimes, on a limited basis, prescribed for conditions other than those identified in the research. I recommend googling the medication to find a reliable list of possible side effects in lieu of querying people without medical training on a non-medical web site and, of course, asking your doctor about potential side effects at the time that the medication is prescribed. He/she may not tell you about ALL reported side effects as many are rare and experienced by only a small percentage of oeople. And, as others have said, you need to report any untoward side effects back to your physician. At your doctor's professional discretion, based on years of training and ongoing education about new medications, an alternative medication may or may not be warranted. If you still feel that your doctor is treating you like a "Guinea pig," then pro-actively find a new doctor. You are not a victim but a patient in need of medical care. 

Respected Contributor

@Q-Checker  Very well said

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

My doctor prescribed ZONISAMIDE for my chronic headaches. Since I started taking it about 10 days ago I have been lightheaded and my body hurts more than usual, my husband says I have been short with him and my sleep has not been the best. I will no longer just let someone write a script for me. Grrrr

I have had a headache problem for years and a doctor I had years ago told me to take a supplement called "Butterbur".  I thought that was a weird name but I take it and I don't get headaches like I use to.  He said it was better than taking a prescription.

And by-the-way your best person to explain medication to you is your Pharmacist.  They study medicine and it's effects more than doctor's do.  I say this because I know, I'm married to one.  He has consulted with me about some of the medicines a certain doctor prescribed and helped save me problems.  His mother could have died because of her doctor combining the wrong medications. It was a good thing my husband checked her medication when he did.