Honored Contributor

Anyone on medicare who has had the doctor tell you that your prediabetic....

The YMCA in my area and many other areas of the country is currently sponsoring a program for pre - diabetics to avoid turning into a diabetic. It is paid for by MEDICARE 100% - and includes a 16 week YMCA membership so you can use the gym. I joined and yesterday was my first class - at my Y you also get free 3 one hour sessions with a personal trainer - which i can really use as I need to adance my workouts.This is custom made for me since I lost my silver sneakers membership when my advantage plan dropped it this year. Now i will have it until we go home to Pa. in with this program. Our y also gives a $25 Publix supermarket gift certificate each week so you can shop for the healthy foods you are learning about. The program says that if you lose 7% of your body weight - which is only 10# for a person who weighs 150# then you will reduce your chance of becoming a diabetic to only 5%. So - all you prediabetics - call your YMCA and see if they have this program. get out and meet some nice people - get healthier - beat diabetis before it gets you - and lose a pants size.I spent an hour sweating it up at the gym today - it felt good.
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone on medicare who has had the doctor tell you that your prediabetic....

This is all well and good and possibly positive motivation. But a person should not wait for financial motivation in order to take care of their bodies. We are all responsible for ourselves and there are many things we cannot control...speaking of health in this instance. However we can control what we put in our bodies, we can make sure we do things physcially to help us stay strong and control the onset of certain diseases. I have been active all my life, have always eaten well. That is what I was taught to do growing up. Not sure I understand why you waited until there was some financial incentive before you decided to try and make some changes that may benefit your health.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone on medicare who has had the doctor tell you that your prediabetic....

That's a great program! Thank you so much for sharing this and good luck meeting your goal. It sounds like you're going to have fun.

Honored Contributor

As someone who sometimes wondered where the next meal was coming from during my teen years, I can understand how one might want to wait to exercise at a gym or be concerned about 'eating right'.

I know that's not what anyone here is saying, but what I am saying is that I do understand how everyone can be concerned about the cost of working out or eating what is considered to be healthy food.

Honored Contributor

Good idea. Also, a simple walk around a couple of blocks or to public transportation helps (if physically able). (We drive too much, IMO). Also, taking a sandwich to work in a lunch bag is a good idea, too. Lots of folks around here spend lots of time 'socializing' and eating all day long at work, from what they say. Anyway, I do like the O/P's information. Have to start somewhere.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 1/17/2014 annabellethecat said:

As someone who sometimes wondered where the next meal was coming from during my teen years, I can understand how one might want to wait to exercise at a gym or be concerned about 'eating right'.

I know that's not what anyone here is saying, but what I am saying is that I do understand how everyone can be concerned about the cost of working out or eating what is considered to be healthy food.

Exactly... OP was trying to pass along information about a great program that she was excited about and that could help a lot of people. I was a bit baffled by the post knocking her down...what was the point of that? It frankly made me very sad to see someone who was obviously very happy to be doing something great for herself, only to be told (basically) "sheesh, what took you so long?" What an utterly ... deflating thing to say.

OP, thanks for passing this information along. I, for one, am on medicare and didn't know this program existed.

Valued Contributor

Let me tell you how a diabetic lives. It runs in my family. I was 123# when it was discovered I had diabetes. It means taking 9 pills twice a day, 2 shots of insulin, buying strips to put into a machine so that I can stick myself 2 more times. I have been doing this for 21 yrs. That's 29,568 times I have had to stick myself. If anyone isn't taking diabetes seriously, maybe this will help you understand. And I am one of the lucky ones. Please take diabetes seriously.

Super Contributor

This sounds like a great program. I wish there was a YMCA near me!!!!

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Super Contributor

On 1/17/2014 iam4truth said:
On 1/17/2014 annabellethecat said:

Exactly... OP was trying to pass along information about a great program that she was excited about and that could help a lot of people. I was a bit baffled by the post knocking her down...what was the point of that? It frankly made me very sad to see someone who was obviously very happy to be doing something great for herself, only to be told (basically) "sheesh, what took you so long?" What an utterly ... deflating thing to say.

OP, thanks for passing this information along. I, for one, am on medicare and didn't know this program existed.

Look up OP's history. She has the worst reputation on these boards for demeaning others.

Super Contributor

Regardless of the background noise, this is an excellent opportunity that I hope will be in my area. You can always learn more tips as a diabetic--and one of them is to keep moving. And a gift certificate to a supermarket each week is a good reason to continue.