Re: After Shingles vaccine got shingles every time I had Botox injections (3)

Robinre - I experienced a similar problem.  (Disclaimer: I am not a doctor). I recieved the new shingles( Shingrix) vaccine on 8/5 then on 8/15 my regular botox & lidocane shots - for headaches.  The next day pain started in my right side trigeminal nerve - extremely painful  - chin, tongue, under my eye, over my brow and one branch to be back of my scalp. So far no rash or eruptions.  I went first to my PCP, who prescribed a decreasing prednesone which helped until they wore off.  The pain returned but now I had pain radiating down my arm and down my leg to my big toe only on my right side - at which point I went to the ER fearing a stroke.   The ER ruled out stroke or heart attack. But it wasn't until I returned to my neurologist who deduced it was the shingles virus.  He said that the virus lies dormant in the dorsal root ganglion which control the peripherial nervous system.  He said it was unlikely that the botox or lidocane triggered caused the shingles to activeate but the injections themselves.  I asked whether the recent vaccination could have been the cause. He said the vaccination would not provide protection for several weeks after the second dsoe. He prescriped an antiviral and Lyrica which has given some, but not total relief.    Not sure where I go from here - wait on my headache shots until after I can get the second dose of Shingrix?   But please know you are not alone.  

Honored Contributor

Re: After Shingles vaccine got shingles every time I had Botox injections (3)

This thread is 6 years old.