Occasional Contributor

After Shingles vaccine got shingles every time I had Botox injections (3)

Message for Pickles and Jewel who posted about shingles after Botox injections. Yes, I had shingles vaccine, then developed shingles every time I had botox injections (3 times) each time at the site of the injection. Absolute correlation. I have had botox injections for over 15 years and never had shingles. In fact, I never had shingles until after the vaccine. Anyone on to this. I have been in contact with well-known dermatologist in New York and he advises his patients to start on medication for shingles whenever they have Botox.

Honored Contributor

Re: After Shingles vaccine got shingles every time I had Botox injections (3)

I've had Botox for years, and have never had a bad reaction.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this problem after getting the shingles vaccine. Here's my own personal opinion of what may be going on:

I was going to get the shingles vaccine. But I decided to do some research about the shingles vaccine side effects before I got it. After reading the research on the vaccine -- combined with reading some of the personal accounts of the adverse effects of the shingles vaccine, I decided not to get the shingles vaccine at this time.

I read the research article about the safety of the shingles vaccine. The research stated that the vaccination was safe for the general population but that there were some incidents of adverse effects from the vaccination.

I don't recall the exact statistics of adverse events from the vaccination. But I do recall that one of the adverse effects of the vaccination was a skin rash. Some of the people has injection site skin rash. But others had a skin rash on other areas of the body that was like shingles.

I also read online blogs where people who have gotten the shingles vaccine have suffered some serious adverse effects of the vaccine. One of the adverse effects that these people complained about was of a painful skin rash, not just at the injection side but covering different areas of their bodies. They warned others to research the shingles vaccine before getting it.

So after reading the research article that said that some people got skin rash covering different areas of their bodies and then reading personal stories of how people are suffering from skin rash covering their bodies I decided not to get the shingles vaccine at this time.

Perhaps there is a particular sub-set of the population who cannot tolerate this vaccine?

I'm very sorry that you are having this problem after getting the vaccination. Smiley Sad

Here is the link to the research article that I read. If I recall correctly, there is some information in this article citing evidence that some people had the adverse effect of a skin rash on other parts of the body, similar to shingles, after getting the shingles vaccine.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=745757

You can download the PDF and read it in it's entirety.

If I can locate the blogs with the personal stories of people who suffered skin rashes after getting the shingles vaccine, I'll post them for you.

I really hope this problem with shingles resolves in your case. Please tell your doctor about this. If he thinks that this problem was caused by the shingles vaccine he should file an adverse event report.

Take good care. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think you had reactions to the botox injections, I doubt that it was shingles. What did your doctor say?

Respected Contributor

Robinre, here is an interesting case study of two women who developed shingles after botox injections, although their shingles vaccine status was not mentioned:

Article

Perhaps an injection with a toxin (such as botulinum toxin, aka botox) triggers an immune response that in turn activates the otherwise dormant shingles virus?

Interestingly, a woman, in the article below, inquired about a possible connection between her "filler" injection and her shingles outbreak a week later. Maybe the immune system is challenged in a negative way by these injections, whether botox or filler, giving rise to herpetic outbreaks. It is an interesting observation which very well may be more than just a coincidental correlation.

Article

Hope you have recovered fully from your shingles outbreak.

Super Contributor

I saw a plastic surgeon just last week and asked about the correlation to botox injections and shingles, he said one had nothing to do with another. I have been well since Fall but my vanity got the best of me last week so I went ahead and had botox injections between and around my eyes. I have had some "itchy" welts come up on my chest and my belly area (these are my usual places of flareups) in the past few days. I, however, don't feel sick like I do when I am getting ready to flare. I think in this case it is the cold weather and itchy dry skin. We'll see...I got the injections a week ago.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/22/2014 57babe said:

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this problem after getting the shingles vaccine. Here's my own personal opinion of what may be going on:

I was going to get the shingles vaccine. But I decided to do some research about the shingles vaccine side effects before I got it. After reading the research on the vaccine -- combined with reading some of the personal accounts of the adverse effects of the shingles vaccine, I decided not to get the shingles vaccine at this time.

I read the research article about the safety of the shingles vaccine. The research stated that the vaccination was safe for the general population but that there were some incidents of adverse effects from the vaccination.

I don't recall the exact statistics of adverse events from the vaccination. But I do recall that one of the adverse effects of the vaccination was a skin rash. Some of the people has injection site skin rash. But others had a skin rash on other areas of the body that was like shingles.

I also read online blogs where people who have gotten the shingles vaccine have suffered some serious adverse effects of the vaccine. One of the adverse effects that these people complained about was of a painful skin rash, not just at the injection side but covering different areas of their bodies. They warned others to research the shingles vaccine before getting it.

So after reading the research article that said that some people got skin rash covering different areas of their bodies and then reading personal stories of how people are suffering from skin rash covering their bodies I decided not to get the shingles vaccine at this time.

Perhaps there is a particular sub-set of the population who cannot tolerate this vaccine?

I'm very sorry that you are having this problem after getting the vaccination. Smiley Sad

Here is the link to the research article that I read. If I recall correctly, there is some information in this article citing evidence that some people had the adverse effect of a skin rash on other parts of the body, similar to shingles, after getting the shingles vaccine.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=745757

You can download the PDF and read it in it's entirety.

If I can locate the blogs with the personal stories of people who suffered skin rashes after getting the shingles vaccine, I'll post them for you.

I really hope this problem with shingles resolves in your case. Please tell your doctor about this. If he thinks that this problem was caused by the shingles vaccine he should file an adverse event report.

Take good care. Smiley Happy

I am just getting over shingles, and I too have read the averse effects following the vaccine. After having the shingles, I also read that its not common to have another outbreak, so I too am taking my chances and continue to take 1000 mg of lysine daily. I would never have botox after reading this!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Regular Contributor

Shingles is the chicken pox virus. Unrelated to Botox.

Occasional Contributor

On 1/22/2014 chrystaltree said:

I think you had reactions to the botox injections, I doubt that it was shingles. What did your doctor say?

Hi, thanks for your comments. I was diagnosed by a doctor the first time after Botox and she was the one that gave the Botox shot and she mentioned that another patient also got shingles on the temple area recently. The second time. after Botox. I was diagnosed in the emergency room. It did not even occur to me that I might be getting shingles, only 6 months later but the pain was so severe I went to the hospital. Because I had the shingles shot the outbreak did not develop fully. I did have an itchy rash but the pain, radiating all along the facial nerve was severe with no relief from pain pills The third time, a year later, shingles was diagnosed by my doctor who had to send me immediately to the eye doctor because the shingles were "trying to get into" my eye. The eye doctor saw me immediately and also diagnosed shingles. Also when I went to the pharmacy to fill the prescription the clerk asked, "What is going on? So many women are all coming in with shingles?" And, of course we all well know that botox is very popular now.

Occasional Contributor

On 1/22/2014 Desertdi said:

I've had Botox for years, and have never had a bad reaction.

Hi, as mentioned I also had Botox for 14 years before the shingles shot with no adverse affects. The shingles came after the shingles vaccine.