Respected Contributor

Do you use instant Maseca or Tamal Maseca to make them with.

Honored Contributor

Maseca tamal, I like the coarser grind for tamales.

Trusted Contributor

I use the fresh masa which I can get at many of our groceries.  I have a wonderful tamale cookbook called Tamales 101.  I love tamales.

Honored Contributor

@debcakes  No one loves tamales like we do! We have a few food trucks close to us who offer tamals that we love, stop by and buy a dozen at a time.  We also have a great Mexican grocery store not far that has a restaurant inside where we've purchased great tamals too.

My DH has tried his hand at making tamales as well. We know there's an easier way to make these which we'll try again.

We also have a good friend DH worked with who's wife makes them. She always makes a point to make certain her husband calls DH to buy a dozen from her. Absolutely to die for! 

We LOVE Mexican food and eat it often!

Honored Contributor

the food of the gods!!!!!!HeartHeart

New Contributor

I make my own tamales using the tamal meseca. I've made them for several years and often wondered how to use the premade dough. How do you use it? What has to be added to it if anything?

I make the families favorites which is pork. I slow cook the roast with seasonings all night and sometimes all day. I save the broth by straining it thru cheesecloth,, refrigerating overnight, and use it to make my red sauce. I also save any lard that forms on top of the broth to use in my dough. It really adds to the taste. I make from 9 to 14 dozen at a time with no help. So anything that makes it quicker would be great.