Honored Contributor

Re: My first time using my Vitamix. I made a V8 juice but I need some tips and advice.

@Mindy D wrote:

@kittyloo wrote:

@Mindy D  i don't have a vitamix, but my opinion is the flavor is off because you added water and ice. it would dilute the tomato flavor. it might benefit from the spinich and worstershire as well. dash of tabasco??

Thanks. I’ll be adding my Worcestershire, spinach, no ice and less water to tomorrow’s version.  I also think the tomatoes as full flavored as they usually are. I buy tomatoes on the vine from a Publix. I just spoke to the produce manager and he said they are imported and he notice they aren’t as intense in flavor right now. I’ll have to add another tomato or add a couple Roma tomatoes. My stomach has been telling me to lay off the spicy foods for awhile so I’ll wait for my tobasco. With a Vitamix, when processing foods you need some liquid before adding the solid pieces.

@Mindy D

Just a reminder....traditional Worcestershire has anchovies. =:0

Honored Contributor

Re: My first time using my Vitamix. I made a V8 juice but I need some tips and advice.

Not sure if this will help but these are the ingredients that are listed on the V-8 Juice bottle.

Vegetable juice (Water and concentrate of tomatoes, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress, spinach), salt, Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), beta carotene, Natural flavoring, citric acid.

You will get it to your liking - just might take some experimenting.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D  Another point to consider is that your drink is raw, whereas  real V8 juice is cooked. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

A Vitamix is a juicer as well as smoothie maker. Jan makes juices all the time on air without it frothing. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Mindy D  You might try to add some bottled tomato juice instead of using water.  Tomatoes are expensive this time of the year and not really at their peak of flavor.

It takes a lot of tomatoes to get a little bit of juice.  I put a half a bushel of tomatoes in my Vitamix and got less than two gallons of mixture.  I freeze it for use in cooking all year long.

I have never added or needed water in the Vitamix when I throw tomatoes in first.  They turn into liquid instantly.  I'd put the tomatoes in first, turn on, then add the other veggies.

Thanks for this tip. I’ll try not adding water today. 

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

I think your product would greatly benefit from the worcestershire. I pretty sure it's one of the things that gives it that good flavor. Also, you can run the vitamix on low for awhile at the end of processing. That's supposed to cut down on the froth. We made some a long time ago and it came out really good. I think we followed the recipe on the vitamix site. I just don't put onion, just personal preference. Hope this helps.Smiley Happy

Thanks for the tip to cut down on froth. I’ll try that today.