Respected Contributor

Lemon sheet cake recipe, ANYONE ????

[ Edited ]

I'm on a quest to find a good lemon sheet cake recipe.  The one I found online had only 4 eggs, some lemon pie filling and a box of lemon cake mix in it - then frosted with cream cheese icing.  I only ate the icing because the cake was ...um...pretty tasteless and rubbery...Do ya'll have any favorites ??

Honored Contributor

Re: Lemon sheet cake recipe, ANYONE ????

@sarahpanda wrote:

I'm on a quest to find a good lemon sheet cake recipe.  The one I found online had only 4 eggs, some lemon pie filling and a box of lemon cake mix in it - then frosted with cream cheese icing.  I only ate the icing because the cake was ...um...pretty tasteless and rubbery...Do ya'll have any favorites ??

how big is the pan?

the best lemon cake is the one in Barefoot Contessa book  but it's made in a loaf pan but you could probably make it work in an 8 x 12 

Respected Contributor

Bake a cake box lemon cake.  Then spread a can of lemon pie filling over the top.  Then top with Cool Whip.

Honored Contributor

This recipe comes from a former co-worker.  It is moist and delicious:

2 3/4 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

3 tbsp fresh lemon zest (3 lemons)

1 3/4 cups sugar

4 eggs

3/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup plain yogurt

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (zest lemons before juicing)

1 tsp vanilla

Glaze:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp yogurt

Whisk flour, baking powder and soda, and salt together. 

Lightly rub sugar and zest together with fingers in big bowl.  Whisk in eggs, oil, yogurt, lemon juice, and vanilla to mix well.  Stir in flour mixture until just combined.

Pour batter into greased 9X13" baking pan and bake at 325 degrees until toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth while cake bakes.

Let cake rest for 10 minutes after baking, then pour glaze over warm cake.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Bake a cake box lemon cake.  Then spread a can of lemon pie filling over the top.  Then top with Cool Whip".

Really? 

Martha Stewart featured baking with lemons on her lastest "Baking with Martha". The lemon coffee cake looked fab! Check it out.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter

That lemon cake sounds really good.  Even though I am baking impaired I think I can handle that!  Thanks

Honored Contributor

I mix a container of cool whip and a box of instant lemon pudding mix for the frosting
Trusted Contributor

@sarahpanda

This may not suit you any better than the one you tried, but when I complimented a lady at our church on her lemon sheet cake, she said she had just used Paula Deen's recipe for Lemon Blossoms and made a sheet cake instead of the mini-cupcakes, then put the glaze on top.  Here's Paula's recipe:

Lemon Blossoms

18 1/2-ounce package yellow cake mix

3 1/2-ounce package instant lemon pudding mix

4 large eggs

3/4 cup vegetable oil

Glaze:

4 cups confectioners' sugar

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1 lemon, zested

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 tablespoons water

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray miniature muffin tins with vegetable oil cooking spray. Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs and oil and blend well with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour a small amount of batter, filling each muffin tin half way. Bake for 12 minutes. Turn out onto a tea towel
  3. To make the glaze, sift the sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, zest, oil, and 3 tablespoons water. Mix with a spoon until smooth.
  4. With fingers, dip the cupcakes into the glaze while they're still warm, covering as much of the cake as possible, or spoon the glaze over the warm cupcakes, turning them to completely coat. Place on wire racks with waxed paper underneath to catch any drips. Let the glaze set thoroughly, about 1 hour, before storing in containers with tight-fitting lids.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@sarahpanda

I made that...it WAS rubbery!  I was SO mad I wasted the money on the ingredients!  Worst recipe I have ever made!  Usually, I can get DH to eat most of something 'not so good', but he wouldn't touch this and in the trash it went.

I would like to suggest

lifeloveandsugar  dot com

Her site is fabulous and she is a master of desserts.  The lemon cakes I have made from her site are superb!!

Almost always from scratch if that is okay with you.

I can't remember if she has a Lemon Sheet Cake, but I am sure her Lemon Layer cakes could be made into a sheet cake.

Respected Contributor

@Honeybit

Thanks for the lemon blossoms suggestion.  I fixed them today and they turned out great. I'll definitely make them again.