Respected Contributor

Keeping those bad buggers away!

It seems every year I try different meds for tick prevention and Heartworm prevention- Some are so high priced, I certainly would like one of the more reasonable options, but safety matters! 

We are in the northeast so tick and heartworm prevention season runs from April- October. 
We don't have problems with fleas as the dog is never hanging around outside in the grass for more than a few minutes- I think the posters here are informed and smart. What are pet-owners using this upcoming season?? Thanks for sharing! Skye and Mom 🥰

Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping those bad buggers away!

I have used the seresto collar for years, ticks are so bad here in maine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Wondercide Spray everytime we go out.  My guy doesn't tolerate heartworm meds and I would never do the flea/tick route.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

It seems every year I try different meds for tick prevention and Heartworm prevention- Some are so high priced, I certainly would like one of the more reasonable options, but safety matters! 

We are in the northeast so tick and heartworm prevention season runs from April- October. 
We don't have problems with fleas as the dog is never hanging around outside in the grass for more than a few minutes- I think the posters here are informed and smart. What are pet-owners using this upcoming season?? Thanks for sharing! Skye and Mom 🥰

I agree!  Last month when Ruby's meds were picked up from the vet, both had ncreased n price!  I use Bravecto and Heartguard. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live in Missouri, and ticks are bad here.  My pups both passed away last year but we always used monthly Nexgard pills, and neither one EVER had ticks or fleas.  They were walked daily and neither ever got ticks or fleas.  Our vet always said the diseases and conditions that dogs can get from ticks/fleas are much more harmful than side effects that the Nexgard "might" cause.  And she said that a problem with the Nexgard was practically zero.  Indeed, neither pup ever had problems with it.  Well worth our peace of mind to have our babies protected.  For heartworm prevention, we used Heartgard.

Respected Contributor

I don't know what I'm going to do this summer.  All the products mentioned so far (except Wondercide) are poison.  I'm in a real quandry over what to use.  I'll check some health minded dog groups on facebook.  Most vets just recommend the poison.  (Of course, they don't call it that.)

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

We live in SE Virginia and have all of the bad buggers.  Our three dogs have to be on preventative meds year-round.  Our vet prescribes monthly Sentinel and every 3 months Bravacto.  It is expensive but it does work.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In doing some research, I noticed that Seresto collar ingredient : "Imidacloprid"   is now banned as a garden pesticide (Bonide Bio-Advanced Tree and Shrub) for sale in several northeast states - CT, NJ, NY, maybe elsewhere because it's so toxic to environment. Even Big A will not let you buy thegarden pesticide if delivery to those states- Just wanted to mention this-

Esteemed Contributor

I use Simparica Trio  for heartworms, fleas , ticks and other worms. Once a month pill amd no problems! 
           🐶   🛑 🦟🪱🪲

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers   I was wondering how much this medication costs?  I currently buy Bravecto and Heartguard.  The prices for these have increased.  Maybe it would be a better value for my Ruby.  Thanks in advance.