Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keeping those bad buggers away!

[ Edited ]

@cheriere wrote:

@1Snickers   I was wondering how much this medication costs?  I currently buy Bravecto and Heartguard.  The prices for these have increased.  Maybe it would be a better value for my Ruby.  Thanks in advance.

@cheriere    I think it varies by veterinarian. I have pet insurance so get a bit off. It was $396.72 for 12 pills. Ask your vet if there's a coupon or rebate.  
               💊 🐶

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@1Snickers   I was wondering how much this medication costs?  I currently buy Bravecto and Heartguard.  The prices for these have increased.  Maybe it would be a better value for my Ruby.  Thanks in advance.

@cheriere    I think it varies by veterinarian. I have pet insurance so get a bit off. It was $396.72 for 12 pills. Ask your vet if there's a coupon or rebate.  
               💊 🐶

Bravecto pricing also varies by the weight of your dog.

Respected Contributor

I have used Simparica Trio in the past and it worked well but I think they raised the prices big time!  Seems quite high priced now- But then adding up Tick/Flea plus Heartgard for mosquitoes, maybe its not much more... 

I am thinking of just going back to Frontline (now there is a generic Pet Armor) , quite inexpensive. Then just add Heartgard. 
I don't really mind the topical for her, it gets absorbed and it's very safe, and it works. 

Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

💊 🐶

I, too, use Simparica Trio.  I don't have pet insurance and pay $312 for 12 pills.  I like the convenience of giving my dog the one pill per month for heartworm, fleas, ticks, etc. rather than a heartworm pill, plus flea and tick medicine.  

Trusted Contributor

It isexpensive, but our vet recommended Interceptor Plus, so that is what I use. Last year there was a tick walking on my fawn pug, 2 in my son's hair and one on my underwear. We check her every time she comes in from a walk. I live in NE Ohio. Hate those ticks--so small and hard to find. Imagine how hard it is to find on a black dog.

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers    @Citrine1      That's still much better than what I'm currently paying for just the Bravecto!  I get the strength for dogs 20lbs and it went up to nearly $95 every three months!  This must be the reason the vet I buy it from doesn't offer the other medicine...he can make much more money by selling everything separately.  This would definitely be worth ordering it online.

Thank you both so much for letting me know about this medication price.  I really do appreciate it. 😊❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere   When I had my dog on Interceptor Plus (heartworm) and Frontline (fleas and ticks), I spent more money than I do for the Simparica Trio.  

I've never had a dog on Bravecto, but from what you're saying it sounds terribly expensive!

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 

We are in Texas so flea and tick prevention is a year round deal.  The prices, along with everything, is crazy buying it from our vet and our vet will not call in a prescription for Amazon or Chewy since they make money on it Smiley Sad  We use Bravecto for tick and flea prevention and Pro Heart for their 6 mo heartworm prevention.  We tried the tick and flea protection you can get at WM, when we were younger, but it doesn't work.

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@cheriere   When I had my dog on Interceptor Plus (heartworm) and Frontline (fleas and ticks), I spent more money than I do for the Simparica Trio.  

I've never had a dog on Bravecto, but from what you're saying it sounds terribly expensive!

Yes, bravecto is expensive.  I think our vet takes full advantage of being the only one in my town so he can pretty much charge what he wants I guess.  However, there's another about 20 miles from me that I'm sure is cheaper because there are a few in that town.

id hate to change vets altogether just in case of an emergency, but I may get him to issue the prescriptions so I'm able to order online.

Honored Contributor

If any of you have ever dealt with a dog with heartworms, you'll find a way to keep them protected.  Our Dingo tested positive for heartworms right after he found us.  He came here in April.  After getting him stable and treating a bullet wound, we had him tested.  He was in the coughing stage.  That was a long hot summer (3 or 4 months) of keeping him in a kennel and walking him to use the potty.  He had separation anxiety and had to be sedated whenever I left the house (which wasn't often because of him).  That was almost 8 years ago.  They will survive but I feel like it takes it's toll.  Having said that, if he gets 1/2 chance to zoom out the door, he's gone and will run the countryside for up to 24 hours.  He doesn't now because he's 12-13 years old  13 years in captivity is average for Dingoes.  I don't think he'll make another year Smiley Sad