Honored Contributor

I have never been a  3 meal a day person - even as a kid.  I would eat cereal for breakfast and if hungry a sandwich then my mother would cook supper.  When we worked we would each have cereal when we got up and pack our own lunches.  I never really wanted another meal after that so my SO cooked for himself.  Now I get up really early and my SO doesn't sleep well so he gets up much later.  He has cereal and I have either an egg, cereal or toast after working out.  I will graze if a little hungry but then we eat around 5:30 or 6:00.  Maybe a cooked meal but often take out.  Cooking 3 meals a day is ridiculous.  I'm retired so easy is better.

Honored Contributor

It’s just DH and me so for the most part, my cooking days are over.

For breakfast we alternate:

boiled egg, 2-pieces bacon, 1-slice wheat toast

oatmeal, 2-pieces bacon, 1-slice wheat toast

or

cereal, 2-pieces bacon, 1-slice wheat toast

always a small glass juice and fruit

We eat out most everyday for lunch.

For dinner, cereal, soup, or leftovers from lunch.

When I cook, it’s usually stew, soup, grilled salmon, or hamburger patties and steamed veggies.

Trusted Contributor

I try to batch cook on Sunday. I’ll roast some chicken and maybe a meatloaf, cut up fixings for salads, maybe some rice...then I have the components to make quick meals throughout the week. I also like to bake up six or 8 baked potatoes that can then be turned into hash browns or used with chili or taco meat. During the winter months, I also try and have some homemade soup in the fridge for those nights when a comforting bowl of soup just fits the bill. Once in awhile, I just like a bowl of cereal for lunch or dinner. Cheese and crackers and also some tuna salad for quick lunches. I would really love French fries for every meal....but a girls got to know her limitations.😉😉

Honored Contributor

On weekdays, I don't eat breakfast or lunch.  No one is here but me.  I might have a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts occasionally.

On weekends, I cook a nice breakfast, lunch for hubby might be a sandwich or something light.  I usually don't eat lunch.

I always cook a big dinner...always.  No pizza or sandwiches. We eat a lot of seafood and fish.

During the summertime, when we are at our lake place. I cook a big breakfast, pack a lunch for the boat..sometimes we grill on the boat for lunch and then I cook dinner...usually something light or perhaps made in a crockpot or grill.

We don't usually eat leftovers. If I have any, my kids will take them home. My daughter is here everyday and my sons stop on weekends.  They clean out my fridge.  It's a win-win for everyone.

Trusted Contributor

My DH and I are both on our own for breakfast and lunch, except for Sunday when I cook brunch.  I keep plenty of food on hand that he likes for breakfasts and lunches. I eat a slice of cheese for breakfast and a salad for lunch (no carbs).

I make supper every night, except Sunday when we just have something simple like soup. Tonight we will have ham, corn, and I'll make scalloped potatoes from scratch.  I'll probably add applesauce for a fruit.  We hardly ever have dessert.  

We eat out about one night a week.  I do not like to eat out for lunch, but I have some friends who like to do that and I go with them occasionally. 

My DH has a sweet tooth, so I bake brownies or cookies every week or two to have on hand for him.  

Honored Contributor

No, there was never a time in my life when I did that.  When the girls were home, I made sure they had a healthy breakfast that would get them through the day but the breakfast you describe was a Sunday or thing and hubby cooked it.  A typical breakfast for my girls would have been a couple of boiled eggs (cooked the night before), toast or English muffins and some type of fresh fruit.  Sometimes packaged oatmeal in place of the toast.  It's the type of breakfast that hubby and I still have; he makes his at 6am and I make mine at 7:30am.

Hubby eats lunch at work but sometimes he does take levtovers to work from lunch.  Generally, I eat one of entrees from the health maintence/weight loss program I am in.  I have an entree with fresh fruit.  If the kids were home back in the day, I did cook a big lunch.  It was sandwiches with soup.  Some fruit or sald, when they got older and started eating salads.

Dinner has always been the big meal.  Yes, I cooked a good dinner when the girls were home but now it's just me and hubby.  We eat differently, he's a meat & potatoes guy and I don't like heavy dinners.  We go out to eat dinner a couple of times a week.  I cook a couple of times a week.  Like tonight, I plan to roast a chicken and we'll have it with baked potatoes and mixed vegetables.  I love the food delivery services, we use UBER Eats or Grubhub or Doordash to have meals delivered from area restaurants.  Real food from real restaurants; not fast food stuff.  

It wouldn't bother me at all if a half axx grown 16 year old "didn't do leftovers".  He'd be free to go in the kitchen and make whatever he wants for lunch.  Or don't eat lunch, it's all the same to me.  I certainly wasn't making lunches for any 16 year olds in my house.  By that age, there was food in the fridge and they made their  own lunches.  I know people who don't eat leftovers.  I call one of them....my son in law.  He just won't eat leftovers, we think it's because he was an only child and tended to get what he wanted.  He also doesn't cook so if my daughter is busy working in her home office and didn't cook that day, he just eats snacks or he has to have something delivered.   

Esteemed Contributor

I've gotten like many here in that I don't care if I eat or not. for years my family commented "You never finish a meal."  Today was rare for me .About 10:00 am I cooked some bacon and used my egg rings to make breakfast sandwiches on english muffins. I don't want to eat the rest of the day.  Will do a small pork tenderloin for dinner so Hubby and daughter have something.  Daughter has given up beef, she doesn't like turkey, chicken is iffy.  Pork chops and roast and ham are still  okay. Her usual comment about food is I'll fend for myself if she doesn't like what I am planning.

Honored Contributor

Now that we are both retired I do not cook. When one of us is hungry that one cooks.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I couldn't possibly eat three full meals a day and keep my weight down where I want it to be.

I have a yogurt with fruit and granola on it around 11.  A salad or a leftover vegetable sometime in the early to mid afternoon, then a fairly small supper. 

I cook a real supper every evening because everyone is home at that time. I however, eat a smallish portion of everything.  

Esteemed Contributor

No.

Breakfast is either a piece of fruit, Yogurt w/ granola, a granola/breakfast bar or something I've picked up on my way to work.  Lunch is normally a turkey sandwich from home or some type of leftovers or I'll pick up a sandwich or taco salad from nearby.  I don't cook in the evening.  I'm not a peanut butter sandwich or microwave popcorn type of gal so I make soups and casseroles on the weekend and have a variety of individual portions in my freezer.  I just grab one of those the night before and have that for dinner the next evening along with a salad (I've always got salad chopped and ready to go).  My mom didn't cook three meals a day when we were all at home either.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown