Esteemed Contributor

Do you cook 3 full meals a day?  i mean big breakfast,  full meal at lunch and then a another big meal at dinnertime? 

We normally do cereal, toast/muffin, or sometimes scrambled eggs for breakfast. On weekends I may do the whole bacon/eggs/toast or pancakes and sausage. I am a

coffee and may be  toast person.

Lunch is usually a sandwich or if we had spaghetti the night before we had that. I will turn lefttover meatballs into a meatball sub.

Dinner is most often a big meal. Sometimes a pizz.

I ask because my friend said her husband is fine with leftovers for a lunch but her 16 yr. step-son in his words "doesn't do leftovers."  My take is Oh h*ll no.  When you pay for the food, help with the cooking and clean up then we'll talk. She doesn't cater to him and his Dad agrees. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer my "big" meal at lunch and a sandwich or even breakfast at night

I can do leftovers but it has to be something that gets better with age, like meatloaf or pasta.

Honored Contributor

I used to when my kids were around---but now, not so much---in fact if I could, I would NOT cook for anyone but myself--got a husband and DD in the house--so there needs to be something on the table---at least at dinner time. Am so over being the chief cook and bottle washer------

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  I agree, somethings just don't cut it the next day.

@software  I am the same, I would be happy to graze and not cook much.  I used to cook several things on a Sunday and then I was good for the beginning of the week and didn't have to go crazy when I came home from work. Now, I have to be in the mood to do more than 1 meal at a time. Lately my crockpot has been my best friend. My Mom and I liked cooking and my sister hates to cook, always has.

Trusted Contributor

I think the idea of cooking 3 full meals doesn't really happen with today's families.

We are a family of 6.  Everyone is on their own for breakfast.  DH and I do take something for breakfast to work with us.    DH and I also pack our work lunches which may be left overs or just a sandwich.  On weekends everyone is on their own.

On Sundays we cook a big meal so we have left overs for a few days.  The Ham, Turkey, chicken etc may be made into something else through the week.  It just makes our lives easier to have meals planned in advance.  

Our kids often will say they don't like what we have for dinner or that they are tired of left overs.  If that is the case they can make their own meal.  I tell them I don't run a restaurant.  All 4 of my kids ages 8-13 have become self sufficient and can make themselves something on their own.

Respected Contributor

DH and I both eat a bowl of cereal at breakfast with a banana both at different times as we are on a totally different wake up times.  He eats his at 5 a.m. and me at 9 to 10 a.m.

We don't usually do lunch at home unless we are both home and make an omelet or somethng.  Most of the tme we eat lunch out - again both at separate times due to our work schedules and different places due to our food preferences.

DH cooks dinner and since there is only the two of us, everthing has leftovers.  We don't consider them leftovers, we think of them as the next night's dinner.  For those who don't eat leftovers, it is surprising how much better alot of things taste when they have had overnight to blend and then get re-cooked.  And as we go out to eat on the weekends, DH only cooks 2 evenings a week instead of 5 as we eat just eggs and rice one night a week and sometrimes get a pizza on Friday night .  I think we are having Chinese tonight as I see ginger and garlic on the counter and crab in the fridge.

Respected Contributor

I don't think that was ever a thing for anyone I know. Not even the farmer family I knew.  We were a famiy of 6 kids and mom only cooked a full meal for dinner.  Breakfast was cereal and toast and juice. Lunch a sandwich and chips. On Saturday even less so. Everyone going in different directions. On Sunday dad cooked a full breakfast and mom cooked a full Sunday meal.

Trusted Contributor

The title of this post caught my interest, because as I get older, and don't do the full 3 meal a day thing, I think back to past years.

I grew up having three meals a day, but breakfast and lunch were always sort of light, then a nice big traditional dinner, maybe a evening snack.

Even as an adult, on my own I required three meals a day, but the breakfastes and lunches became increasing light, as I was always watching my weight.

Now, I can barely eat anything during the day without it kind of ruining my dinner.  I like to have a nice substantial dinner, and if I eat anything much during the day, I find it takes away from that.  Granted, I do like to eat dinner early.

This is one of the major things about aging that I have noticed.  I like to not eat during the day... I feel my stomach is calmer, and I have more energy.  Maybe it's just me, I"m weird.

Esteemed Contributor

It's funny I cooked more when I was working. When I retired in the spring of 2015 I looked forward to have time to cook and organize the house (ha, joke was on me). Spent a year with hubby and his cancer treatment and surgery,  then I had a stroke and then my hip replacement.  Cooking took a backseat and I had had a hard time getting my enthuiasm backing.  I have way too many cookbooks and need to go thru them to find some new dishes to make. I am looking forward to grilling season and all the fresh fruits and veggies.

Honored Contributor

Never!