Super Contributor
On 5/15/2014 puggirl said: Hosts get 30% discount.

All employees get the same discount across the board. Some items like electronics get a lower percentage because the markup is lower. Vendors do not own the finished product, QVC owns it. So yes, a vendor would also need to place an order for the items. Of course there will always be exceptions.

Super Contributor

Yes, hosts can indeed have an arrangement for order placement. Corporate executives do that as well. In most cases, it would be a management person that has access to the host's account. The method of payment is encrypted of course. When you work for a company like QVC, HSN, Amazon, etc., you can expect your account to be monitored. They tend to frown employees loaning their discount to someone else. That is a highly prized benefit that isn't meant to be enjoyed by anyone but the employee and the employee's immediate family. Employees can and do gift using their discount. The system is set to raise flags when it encounters excessive and or unusual activity.

So yes, sometimes, sometimes it may indeed be a legitimate order request.

Respected Contributor
On 5/14/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:

One host called out to have something ordered for her...soon after, she told them to cancel that order & to place another order for 2.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I heard Nancy do this during the gold show in ref. to a pair of small gold hoop earrings.

Frequent Contributor

it is rude...it is selfish...it is unprofessional...that being said lisa r does it ALL THE TIME..........

Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 rjean said:

it is rude...it is selfish...it is unprofessional...that being said lisa r does it ALL THE TIME..........

You do realize that no one is actually ordering for her when she says, "Someone order this for me, quick!", right?

I mean, it is nothing but a sales gimmick.

Apparently people really do believe that there really is someone ordering for the hosts!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Respected Contributor

I often hear host mention that they saw all the items to be presented prior to the show. I am sure they are shown the products before tv airing because otherwise, how would they know to prepare for the show?

That being the case, when they could have ordered before the show, there's no reason for them to do so during the presentation. So obviously it's phony! Seems to me that sometimes this happens when sales are slow on an item, to encourage people to buy.

Super Contributor
On 5/15/2014 nytengale1 said:

It's a PR thing. In our area there are several people who work for QVC.

The hosts see the items before they are presented, as they have to prepare for their shows. If they want to order it they can do so beforehand or ask the vendor.

No kidding! They'd have to, to prepare for the show. The items would surely be available to order by the day they appeared. I could see this back in the day before they had a website (not being able to order) but even then would think you could order them if you had the item number by phone.........

Honored Contributor
On 5/15/2014 Issiestorm said:

Back in 1999 I was watching a Taxco silver show (before it became the Dominique Dinouart show) that Lisa R. was hosting. She made a point of saying that she had gotten someone to order a few pieces for her. So she was also breaking a rule, if as you say, it existed. I also remember distinctly that Lisa said 'nothing blows me away like Taxco silver'.

I also recall various hosts (including Lisa) saying that they couldn't order anything until after they'd gone off the air. Lisa used to get frustrated when something she really liked would sell out.

As regards the Taxco shows, I used to love watching those. As the pieces were presented, the host would not only talk about the particular piece, but also the artist who had created it.

You don't have to go back in time....a couple weeks ago Antonella was hosting a jewelry show and said "I cant order until after the show, so please save me one".....and then when it sold out in her size..."Oh nuts, you didn't save one for me"...

And I heard other hosts say something similar...so I think it is a company policy, and when Lisa and/or the models or other hosts say this, it's just another sales gimmick! {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 Yuban3 said:

I can't believe that people honestly think that the host really do have someone ""ordering"" the item(s) for them.

The hosts would never lie to us.

Contributor
Think for some it may be a marketing ploy, but think for others, they may start to covet the item after handling it/thinking about it.