Respected Contributor

Re: Does it really look that bad?

I can understand your care as these older fabrics do not resist staining. I have several vintage tablecloths from the 1940's. When I use them I put placemats on the table when we eat. And also put several in the center to hold serving dishes. That has worked for me. 

Valued Contributor

I'm not fond of the plastic.  If its the table you eat on here is what I would do.  Keep the plastic on it for everyday but remove it when company comes over.  You might have to wash the table cloth more but it won't look as bad.  I'm not fond of plastic on anything.  I recall my mother's white couch had a plastic cover on it.  Another idea is to buy a vinyl tablecloth that is Christmas and put it over this tablecloth for family meals.  Remove the vinyl tablecloth when company comes.  They can be bought very cheaply on ebay.

Valued Contributor

I looked at it again.  Honestly its not that bad for family meals.  Its not my style though, I stick to my solutions that I mentioned.  

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   I think it looks fine.  And I would not worry about it.  Tell husband to turn his head if it bothers him that much.

Super Contributor

@house_cat the tablecloth is so pretty.  You were able to enjoy it and not worry about something happening to it.  I had my holiday tablecloth on my dinning room table during the holidays and during the Christmas dinner crossed my fingers no one would drop any food on it.  Thank goodness there were no spills!  Thanks for sharing...good idea!

Super Contributor

@house_cat , Beautiful tablecloth and the plastic looks fine, I understand why you needed it. Slightly off topic, How did your sweet kitty do over the holidays?

Honored Contributor

It's an individual choice and no, it doesn't look 'that bad'. While it's a viable solution to keeping the pretty vintage cloth clean, it wouldn't be my choice. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

If I came across a nice vintage fabric/ quilt/ or tablecloth, I would either use is as a wall hanging, drape it over a chair, or use it on a guest bedroom. 

I don't blame you for wanting to preserve your pretty tablecloth. I really like it and it looks so nice on your table.  It's your home and you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.Heart

Respected Contributor

I do not care for plastic over a tablecloth. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Guess I'm tacky ..I have a beautiful Lenox tablecloth for Christmas -- it's many years old & yup, I cover it with plastic just like you!

I don't trust my company (or the so called stain resistant) to not spill red wine, coffee or just anything to ruin it!

Sorry, if no one likes it but it works for me!