Honored Contributor

Does it really look that bad?

I bought a tablecloth from Ebay this year. It was quite pricey... it's vintage 1950s.  It just makes my heart so happy to look at it, for some reason.  

I had guests in and out of my house for the last two weeks. In order to be able to keep the tablecloth on the table and not ruin it, I bought a plastic topper.  My husband thinks it's in bad taste and my sons both said it reminds them of their grandmother's plastic slipcovers. 

In my mind, it's allowed me to enjoy the tablecloth for almost a month without having to wash and iron it or worry about staining it.

I should mention that it's the only table in my home, so it's used constantly. It's not a formal dining area.

I'd like to know your opinions, but please be gentle 😶

Thank you.

vintage christmas tablecloth with plastic 2019.JPG

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does it really look that bad?

What do men know?     (wink)

I think my mother did similar.......who wants to be washing & ironing all the time.

Enjoy it as it is.......................

Respected Contributor

I would have done the exact same thing, put plastic over it.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it makes perfect sense,  you do not want to ruin it ,with food,and drinks from people.Very pretty.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I don’t think it looks bad at all. But I could see my daughters saying the same thing as your sons. 😃

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally love a beautiful tablecloth and I especially enjoy some of the vintage/antique ones, lace as well and what I did was to have a glass topper made (whatever thickness you feel appropriate), mine is about 1/4" thick and place it on the top of your tablecloth.  It's a really nice look IMHO and permanent, pretty tough, and easy to clean.  I personally see nothing wrong with your plastic topper as long as you and your family like it.  I absolutly understand the reasons why..... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

It's a beautiful table cloth!  I understand why you wouldn't want any spills/stains getting on it.  But I do agree with your husband/son's on this one.  It doesn't look good with that plastic on top like that...can't feel nice to dine on it that way either.

However it really is impossible to not use a table for eating and serving on multiple times per day and not something getting on it.

Perhaps you could use the table cloth as a wall hanging instead to enjoy?  that way you see it all thru the season but no chance of it being ruined.

Just my thoughts

Valued Contributor

I think you should do what makes you comfortable. And bit of advice, don't ask others what they think. It's not important.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

What do men know?     (wink)

I think my mother did similar.......who wants to be washing & ironing all the time.

Enjoy it as it is.......................

@fthunt   I have to laugh because my DH would never notice let alone say anything! 

Esteemed Contributor

I love it and the idea of it.  I did that with one for years on an embroidered tablecloth.  Maybe trim or fold the plastic so it falls with the cloth and not away from it.  

Love the tablecloth!