Respected Contributor

Re: Am I Going to Regret This? re: Roberta's

Like @gardenman , the plumeria I got from them maybe 20 years ago has thrived, just nowhere near what they show on TV in their controlled atmosphere greenhouses. When these grew (I got a package of 3 and only 1 lived), I started looking into whatever else they offered. Not one plant survived. I finally learned that buying plants online wasn't going to work for me. I prefer to buy from local companies who sell mostly native plants, and not from the big box stores either. The big box stores also sell plants grown in controlled greenhouses and the plants don't always work in my zone. Good luck, it's so convenient to buy online but I think you have to baby plants more and you have to do some research to see if the plants actually do grow in your zone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, you will regret it. Roberta’s is a company I no longer purchase from. They are not a quality company. From their poor quality tubers and plants, to the poor CS. Never Roberta’s.

Contributor

First, I want to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to respond. Heart  I must admit, I didn't expect such a variety of responses!  It's like reading the reviews on QVC...which also leaves me still confused!  Smiley Frustrated 

I do understand and agree, that I cannot expect plants that are subjected to the uncontrollable forces of Mother Nature vs. plants grown under perfect conditions of temperature, light, water, etc. will have the same results.   How many times in our own gardens have we found a plant that just barely survived in one spot and when moved to a different location just took off?

I think what I am most concerned about or still question are the conditions of your plants when they arrived.  It seems there are some orders of 3 plants, where only 1 turned up alive or all 3 were dead! Smiley Sad So, I would like to ask the members whose plants did well, how did they arrive from Roberta's?  Were they shipped properly?

I normally have purchased my flowers from a local nursery, which has now closed.  Purchasing online is more expensive.  But, I also cannot find many of the same varieties that Roberta's offers.  e.g.  Roberta's Trample Me Thyme that blooms all summer cannot be found.   Local nurseries and the big box stores in my area seem to all carry the same collections.

Any further thoughts?  Again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.  It is much appreciated!Heart

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rockyrose1 I have found that they do ship them carefully and have not had a problem with them surviving.  Having said that, I have 3 orders coming that were shipped last week and were supposed to be delivered Tuesday.  Then changed to Wednesday, Thursday, and now Friday.  This would be a problem caused by UPS and SurePost and I hope when they come, if they come, they will at least be alive.  If not, I guess I'll have to see Roberta's, Caroline's and Phillips promise of "we're not happy unless you are happy" promises hold up.  Fingers crossed.  They are also being sent too early for my planting area.

Edited to add only one was actually shipped last week, the other 2 had a "label issued" last week.  So we'll see.

Respected Contributor

@rockyrose1 , coming back on to say that the plants I received from Roberta's always arrived alive. My plumeria came in as dormant sticks; I followed their instructions and am presented each year with beautiful plants. I've taken cuttings and given to many throughout the 30 years I've had them. The mother plant got too tall to handle so I shared with many friends who say they're thriving. I also got from them some stargazer lilies; fine when they arrived but they didn't live past the first year. The other was a tuberose that provided me lots of heavenly smelling blooms the first year, then didn't make it to see a second. I don't order from them any longer because I don't think they sell many plants that grow well in my zone, but the plants always arrived healthy.

Contributor

chlema...would you mind posting back so we all can learn from your personal experience on how your plants arrived?  Smiley Happy Thanks!

Contributor

Carolina925...Thank you for coming back to explain into further detail your experience.  It gave me hope Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@rockyrose1,  I have found that the packaging of Roberta's plants has greatly improved over the past couple of years.

All the plants I've received from them were alive but some healthier than others.  I think that happens with any plant vendor and not just those on Q.

This may sound far out but if you are looking for specific plants check Amazon. 

I recently purchased a "ponytail palm" from Costa Farms via Amazon and if there is such a thing as a perfect plant the one I received qualifies.  Price wise it was comparable to what Roberta's offered but a more mature plant.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Contributor

Marp...Thank you! Smiley Very Happy for the heads-up on Amazon's plants!   I have been hesitant to try them because I have been disappointed a lot by Amazon.   When you make a purchase for a new item, you receive a used item!!!   It is very seldom that I receive a new item anymore.   What is even worse is that Amazon's people don't even check what was wrong with the product that was returned.   So, many times I have received someone else's problems.  Smiley Mad  

Maybe the plants are coming direct from the vendor?   If so, I would have to question if all vendors offer the same "perfect plants" as others?   I will most definitely check out Costa Farms knowing of your experience. Smiley Happy

Thank you again for sharing! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rockyrose1,  you are very welcome.  I placed the order through Amazon, I'm a prime member, but the plant was shipped directly from Costa Farms.

In addition to selling direct to customers they are also a well known plant supplier.  Take a few minutes to check out their website at costafarms.com

I should mention that I have only purchased one other plant as a gift through Amazon but unfortunately do not remember which supplier.  I do recall that the recipient commented on how nice the plant was and how well packed.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.