Honored Contributor

I bought a living butter lettuce plant from the grocery store---so I cut the leaves off above the roots and planted it---after a few weeks---harvested it for a salad!! How about that!! And its growing out again!! Getting my $5 my worth--Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Harvested my first lettuce

That's  wonderful.  You are so clever.  Now, why didn't I think of that?

Honored Contributor

Wow, never thought of doing that!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Congratulations !  I have a aero garden and it came with seed packs including butter lettuce but I never planted those seeds only Romaine, kale and swiss chard. I will have to plant the butter lettuce ! I've never eaten butter lettuce so I will have to try it now, thanks !

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes ---I bought this for making a ground chicken in lettuce cup recipe-----love that from PF Jangs and found a good recipe but couldn't find butter lettuce except for the living one. It is the prefect shape and size for those delicious little babies. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Congratulations !  I have a aero garden and it came with seed packs including butter lettuce but I never planted those seeds only Romaine, kale and swiss chard. I will have to plant the butter lettuce ! I've never eaten butter lettuce so I will have to try it now, thanks !

@Goodie2shoes I wasn't thrilled with the lettuce in the Aerogarden.  I don't think I tried butter lettuce though. I grow that in winter in the greenhouse.  It may just get too hot in summer even in the house for lettuce.  It's never crisp, even when running a fan on it while it grows.  And it doesn't crips up in the fridge.  

You can grow other things besides the pods you can get from Aerogarden.  You can buy empty pods on Amazon and plant your own.  Of course, space is a consideration, so you have to stick with minis.  A lot of folks do the mini tomatoes, but I don't eat tomatoes.  Last year I did fillet beans since I like the small, skinny green beans, but 3 plants in a 7-pod unit would be the max for that plant, so it ends up taking awhile to gather enough beans for a meal, LOL.  

Respected Contributor

@ Icegoddess wrote:

I wasn't thrilled with the lettuce in the Aerogarden. I don't think I tried butter lettuce though. I grow that in winter in the greenhouse. It may just get too hot in summer even in the house for lettuce. It's never crisp, even when running a fan on it while it grows. And it doesn't crips up in the fridge.

You can grow other things besides the pods you can get from Aerogarden. You can buy empty pods on Amazon and plant your own. Of course, space is a consideration, so you have to stick with minis. A lot of folks do the mini tomatoes, but I don't eat tomatoes. Last year I did fillet beans since I like the small, skinny green beans, but 3 plants in a 7-pod unit would be the max for that plant, so it ends up taking awhile to gather enough beans for a meal, LOL.

My Romaine, Swiss Chard and Kale did very well and I grew them earlier this year. I also have a muga garden and grew the same with great results. I harvested the lettuce and ate salad for several days. I harvested lettuce each day and ate it the same day so it wouldn't wilt in the fridge. I have also grown grape tomatoes. Right now I have about 15 plants in my apartment and a Lady from church brought me more ( she was so nice I couldn't refuse them) so I'm not sure about restarting my gardens right now. I have to give it some thought. My Daughter got me started because she has 3 aerogardens.   Woman LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, we can't even plant till June 1st.  Just had snow last weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I bought a living butter lettuce plant from the grocery store---so I cut the leaves off above the roots and planted it---after a few weeks---harvested it for a salad!! How about that!! And its growing out again!! Getting my $5 my worth--Woman Happy

I'm glad to hear that.😃

Youll be surprised just how quickly it grows back out too.  I usually have lettuce until the first of November.

Respected Contributor

I planted several lettuce plants in my raised garden planter about a week ago and have already harvested it several times.  Really going well.  I have butter lettunce, green and red leaf lettuce along with Romaine.  Enjoying the fresh lettuce! 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.