Esteemed Contributor

Re: A few pics Jun 9/17

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@LIG1, thank for the lovely words.  I spent this afternoon staining a new wooden swing to put by the yellow chairs.  That is my favorite place in the yard to take a seat.  I had a swing there before but the frame rotted so I moved the swing seat up under the screened in deck on the house.  I ordered another swing and picked it up today.  I got the stain out and have the frame done now and will do the seat tomorrow.  I am so happy to have it back there.  You will probably see it next time I post.

I have one at lakeside as well, all made by the same guy.  LM

@Lilysmom~ always a treat to see your beautiful pictures!

Esteemed Contributor

@LIG1, same color as the one under the deck, burgundy.  Using the last of the stain I have on hand...hoping there is enough left to finish the job!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Re the Nikko Blue, did your plant die back every year?  It blooms only on old wood, so if it died back, that was killed every year, which is why it wouldn't bloom.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, the hydrangeas do go dormant every winter but there was minimal pruning so that should not be an issue.  The Niko Blue was rarely trimmed.  All the other hydrangeas, including those that bloom on new, old and both new and old wood bloom without issue after dying back.

Thanks for the thought.

I must have more than 20 hydrangeas on our property.  The only poor performers I had were the Niko Blue and an oakleaf hydrangea.  I just about did everything for the oakleaf and it would not bloom.  In the end, I pitched it.  Five years effort and I got nowhere.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom

How absolutely beautiful....you must be very proud!