Esteemed Contributor

Now, what would be doing this?

Earlier in the season, somebody took one of my two humming bird feeder down, and the next moring, it was completely empty, layng on the ground. Same thing this morning, and the other hummingbird feeder is empty, but still up. Both were pretty full last night.

Also, my suet feeder has had new blocks of suet in it and once it has been completely gone, but twice, the suet blocks have been laying up in the tree, out of the feeder, partially eaten.  Anyway, whatever is doing this is a clever little fellow or fellows.

Any ideas?

I have to find the game camera, lol.

Honored Contributor

Re: Now, what would be doing this?

Squirrels?

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

Deer?

Honored Contributor

Raccoon? They have thumbs, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Related image

Related image

Frequent Contributor

I have problems with raccoons getting into my hummer feeders. Actually, they raid anything not nailed down.

Just today, I found all the little plastic flowers that go around the feeding holes on the ground. Some were broken. I assume the raccoon just picked them off.

Dextrous little buggers!

Guess I will have to bring the feeders in at night.

Dragonfly

Respected Contributor

Related image

Contributor

If parts of the feeder are up in a tree, it probably is a racoon that is doing it..  They can really do some pretty amazing things with those paws.  My feeders are all mounted on poles that are greased with coconut  oil.  It has saved me alot of money and time.  I live in an area where we have all of the animals and I feed them. I love to watch them but, I also don't want something mangled by them when they have other things to eat.  It really works!  Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

@happycat  Considering the amount of missing food and the extent of damage, I vote for raccoons.  They have those little "hands" that can even take the lid off a closed trash can!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Related image

Related image

Oh my, @MorningLover. I didn't know that squirrels and raccoons would go after the hummingbird nectar.

I only knew I didn't think we had THAT many hummers.....

I think whatever it is, there is definitely more than one because they ate all the birdseed out of two feeders as well.