Trusted Contributor

Re: What Make a Woman Elegant?

Her attitude

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Trusted Contributor

I agree that true elegance is rare and difficult to describe.  I will say that I never met an elegant woman who can be described as anything but perfectly manicured and impeccably well groomed.

Esteemed Contributor

Designer clothes do not make a woman elegant - that Versace comment is a bit off IMO! No matter what Jackie Kennedy wore, from gowns to slacks she was always elegant. I think Melania Trump is another elegant woman, no matter whether she wears jeans or a beautiful gown. It has something to do with how a woman carries herself - she looks confidant and comfortable with herself. Katherine Hepburn was another elegant woman with the same air of confidence and "comfortable".

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Designer clothes do not make a woman elegant - that Versace comment is a bit off IMO! No matter what Jackie Kennedy wore, from gowns to slacks she was always elegant. I think Melania Trump is another elegant woman, no matter whether she wears jeans or a beautiful gown. It has something to do with how a woman carries herself - she looks confidant and comfortable with herself. Katherine Hepburn was another elegant woman with the same air of confidence and "comfortable".

@jannabelle1, just goes to show that we all see things differently. I'm really not all into this whole "elegant" thing, but if I were, I would definitely not have included one of your choices, although I think that they are all attractive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Some women are born with an indefinable sense of style.  I can wear the exact same outfit and they are wearing and they have a certain something that makes it look like the height of fashion while I look like a schlump.

I totally agree with you.  I find ladies at the mall that look so sophisticated and if I wear something similar I look frumpy.  I always say, "if I was just 5" taller I'd look so good".  It's very depressing.  Schlump is a great word also.

@luvmybeetle  you poor thing, your height surely is not what's holding you back. Tall does not automatically make you elegant, just like short doesn't automaticly make you schlumpy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

@GiantsLover wrote:

What makes a woman elegant is her inner beauty, knowledge, self worth, education, and confidence which also reflect in her outward beauty.

Elegance thru and thru.

@GiantsLover   An education does not equate with being elegant.  Just because someone does not have a high degree of education, or even a lot of money for that manner, does not mean they cannot be elegant.  It's deeper than that.  Something that cannot be bought.

@Harvard99  I don't think education has to be letters behind one's name.  One of the most well educated ladies I know is from England.  She has no college degrees  She can talk about anything.  She is beautiful, elegant, tall, carries herself so beautifully, dresses classically, has a quietness about her that is a mystique, speaks well and speaks well of others, talents include decorating, design, tailoring, sewing couture draperies.  She drew her own home plans, contracted it to be built and then served as her own interior decorator.  She is one of the instructors in our garden club for the new members.  She is well versed in playing Bridge and other games that ladies play and has spoken to study clubs and other groups on her experience as a small child in England WWII where she and her mother lived underground.  I have known her since she was in her 30s and she is just as beautiful and elegant today as she was then.  Such a pleasure to be in her company.

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday  Your friend sounds like the epitomy of elegance. Thank you for telling us all about her, her accomplishments and her grace. When you say that she can talk about anything and speaks so well of others, I just envision someone who is truly an elegant woman. Thank you for sharing.