Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Make a Woman Elegant?

I love the word "schlump", @Kachina624 -- thanks!  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I have known only a few "elegant" women in my lifetime and I struggle to put into words exactly why I think they are elegant but here goes...

Elegance is refinement and knowing what is appropriate behavior for the occasion. Understated and never flaunting their net worth, they exude a kind of confidence that cannot be bought. Elegance is about being well-spoken and having the confidence to be exactly who you are with no apologies. And the elegant women I have known in my lifetime always make the people around them feel good about themselves after spending time with them. Having some charm doesn't hurt matters either.

Elegance cannot be bought first and foremost. It is that special something that I know it when I see it and I also think it is rare....

Respected Contributor

I read a GREAT article about just this subject.....

Jean Shrimpton — What is it That Makes aWoman Elegant?... https://iconicallyrare.com/2014/08/03/jean-shrimpton-what-is-it-that-makes-a-woman-

Honored Contributor

High end jewelry and speaking loudly are NOT what make a woman elegant. They make a woman classless. 

Intelligent, soft-spoken women have a jump start on elegance. Being slender and tall don't hurt either. Mainly elegance comes from the inside, wearlng classic simple styles, and showing humility. Most elegant women accessorize well with simple items. Nice handbag, nice shoes, nice coat are part of the outfit. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

High end jewelry and speaking loudly are NOT what make a woman elegant. They make a woman classless. 

Intelligent, soft-spoken women have a jump start on elegance. Being slender and tall don't hurt either. Mainly elegance comes from the inside, wearlng classic simple styles, and showing humility. Most elegant women accessorize well with simple items. Nice handbag, nice shoes, nice coat are part of the outfit. 

There is no reason to speak loudly all the time, although we all have our level at which we comfortably speak.

But to relegate women to being soft-spoken is denying them the use of their voice in circumstances that call for the certainty of being heard.

Clearly, we put no such restrictions on men.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

There is no reason to speak loudly all the time, although we all have our level at which we comfortably speak.

But to relegate women to being soft-spoken is denying them the use of their voice in circumstances that call for the certainty of being heard.

Clearly, we put no such restrictions on men.

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I speak louder than many women.  My husband has been deaf for 15 years (no, he's totally deaf --- no hearing aid or cochlear implant will work.  We have tried all that.  Doctors tell us when there is no hearing, there is nothing to work with to amplify hearing).Now, after spending all this money, doctors at teaching university tell us all that was a waste of thousands of dollars.  

So, I talk louder than many but I also studied theater and elocution in early life.  I was always the one called on to read in first, second grades, etc., because my voice projected.  So, perhaps I have always been "louder" than most. I am asked to do speaking engagements for same reason. 

Yes, I suppose many would say that makes me somewhat less than elegant and I have no argument with that.  But, I am dynamic.  However, there are many soft-spoken women who I would never call elegant, not by any stretch of the imagination.  

Valued Contributor

What makes a woman elegant is her inner beauty, knowledge, self worth, education, and confidence which also reflect in her outward beauty.

Elegance thru and thru.

Trusted Contributor

@GiantsLover wrote:

What makes a woman elegant is her inner beauty, knowledge, self worth, education, and confidence which also reflect in her outward beauty.

Elegance thru and thru.

@GiantsLover   An education does not equate with being elegant.  Just because someone does not have a high degree of education, or even a lot of money for that manner, does not mean they cannot be elegant.  It's deeper than that.  Something that cannot be bought.

Honored Contributor

I think what you have to say ,matters more than how loudly you say it.  Who would whisper, fire, it needs to he  heard!

Elegance sets the pace for others. Vreeland did just that. I watched a auto biography about her. It was stunning. She overcame a mother ,who was a beauty, that told her she was ugly

She used to run a column( in Harpers or Vogue, I think) called ,why don't you, filled with fashion tips, and  women followed her lead. The Met snapped her up, because she was a leader, her voice was deep, but her diction was  perfect ,and she spoke with authority.