Honored Contributor

Re: Polyester fabric takes at least 100 years to decompose

interestingly, there are many articles regarding cotton and how bad it is for the environment. always good to see both sides of the story. RECYCLING and DONATION is quite important! it doesnt need to end up in a landfill.

"the cotton crop consumes 16% of all the insecticides and 6,8% of all herbicides used worldwide.These pesticides are washed out of soils, and pollute rivers and groundwater. Pests often develop resistance to pesticides that are used on a continuous basis. Furthermore, the chemicals eliminate not only pests but also their natural enemies. This interference with the ecosystem considerably reduces biodiversity and can result in pests that were previously not so important (secondary pests) becoming a major problem. 

If cotton is cultivated intensively, it requires large amounts of water for irrigation. This causes soil salinisation, particularly in dry areas and hence a degradation of soil fertility.

a farmer’s income from his cotton harvest is often lower than the cost of the inputs due to low crop yields and market prices, driving more and more farmers into debt. As cotton is a cash crop, cotton farmers are highly dependent on volatile world markets. Growing only cotton reduces families’ food security, particularly in regions with unstable climatic conditions, since in bad years they are unlikely to have enough money to buy food."

https://organiccotton.org/oc/Cotton-general/Impact-of-cotton/Risk-of-cotton-farming.php

Conventionally grown cotton requires the heavy use of synthetic fertilizers. Such concentrated application means much of it ends up in waterways, creating one of the worst nutrient pollution problems globally, upending aquatic communities and leading to dead zones starved of oxygen and devoid of aquatic life. In addition, synthetic fertilizers contribute an important quantity of greenhouse gases during their production and use.

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-environmental-costs-of-cotton-4076783

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Puppy Lips   Thanks, but it wasn't me who started the thread, it was @susieq1 . Thanks to both for you for reminding us that small changes we can make really do count.

@Puppy Lips  I buy mostly all cotton tops and I too am buying much less clothing .  I still am using my old, all cotton sheets and I will until they're thread bare.  Then, I'll replace them with 100% cotton or bamboo, no polyester microfiber here.

@Harvard99, according to Wiki,  the vast amount of bamboo textiles are actually a type of rayon in which the cellulose is extracted from the bamboo. The chemical waste product as a result of manufacturing is extemely dangerous to the workers involved.

"And around 75% of all polluting emissions coming from the bamboo viscose process occur in the form of air emissions."

@suzyQ3  You're correct about rayon bamboo and modal.  Lyocell bamboo is made from a different process, a type that is eco friendly and also safe for the worker and garment wearer.  

There is no fabric that is both environmentally sustainable and non toxic to the environment and wearer, maybe hemp and linen being on the top of the list.  Wool, cotton and bamboo are next.

Unfortunately the most commons fabrics these days ( acrylic, polyester, nylon, spandex) are petroleum based and also the most damaging in terms of production and harm to the wearer.  Also, I've read that polyester takes 200 years to degrade.

Not only is the manufacturing process for these fabrics toxic and damaging to the environment, these petroleum base fabrics must also be chemically treated to get them to take dyes (they are naturally non-absorbent) and also chemically treated to make them fire retardant.

It's no wonder that so many QVC customers complain that their clothing purchases have horrible odors that just won't go away.  I'll stick with mostly cotton and some bamboo and others are free to choose whatever they like.  I just want us all to have choices. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxee. It has nothing to do with what QVC prefers. Manufacturers are using more synthetic fibers because they are easier and more abundant. There is no easy answer. We have created monsters in clothing and in every other aspect of our lives. I personally like some blends of fabrics but not 100% cotton as it doesn’t hold up well especially in clothing. It is unfortunate but a fact of life.
Esteemed Contributor

I never throw my clothing in the trash. I donate my clothing too. I may have thrown some old underwear in the trash because it wasn’t donateable.
Valued Contributor

I got rid of all my natural fiber clothing (well most). The answer is to recycle the clothing by selling, donating, or turning it into something else such as quilts, bedding, shredded fluff to put into car seats, etc. I keep my clothes for years. The only reason I get rid of them is because my size has fluctuated. I've sold lots of them on ebay and poshmark.
Honored Contributor

Valued Contributor

I guess we should send this to Susan Graver! 

Honored Contributor

by the way, has anyone tried ROTHYS before?

100% recycled shoes from plastic. so comfortable, machine washable, cute styles, and a nice range of colors.

the shoes themselves are also recyclable.....they can be turned into yoga mats, outsoles, insoles, and other environmentally friendly products.

a wonderful company to support because they care and they walk the walk.

How are Rothy’s both recycled and recyclable?

We encourage you to donate or gift your Rothy's to keep shoes out of landfills.

If your shoes are well-loved, an alternative option would be to take a look into options at your local recycling facility, many counties have the accommodations to recycle textiles, clothing and shoes. We are in the process of establishing a domestic recycling partner, we look forward to sharing more information with you soon!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein