Honored Contributor

Re: Polyester fabric takes at least 100 years to decompose

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@susieq1 wrote in her headline:

Polyester fabric takes at least 100 years to decompose

@susieq1 

Polyester hasn't been around for 100 years ... how can it be scientifically proven to be true?

Even if it is ever proven to be true - it would be an advantage for folks who have limited incomes ... their clothes would last forever ... just keep handing them down from one generation to the next. 

No one would ever again be wearing ragged clothes.

Polyester tears, pills and runs.  It also turns yellow, especially if exposed to the sun and it holds oily stains.  It look horrible with age, but is not broken down in the landfills.  It releases toxins if burned.

Clothing in America would never be handed down a generation or two.  It is tossed as outdated in a year or less.

It's  not just plastic clothing that is ruining our environment.  Almost everything we buy today is made with some form of plastic...even cars.

i wish they would get rid of the plastic drink bottles and jars and go back to glass.  To me it makes little sense to use a glass or plastic container, then recycle it.  It could be sterilized and reused and a new label affixed each time.

We humans have evolved to be pretty dumb.

Honored Contributor

Get real.  Women who think $70 is too much to pay for a top aren't going shell out $470 for that shirt in silk.  Remember you are talking to QVC shoppers.

Honored Contributor

This is a good article about micro-fibers and micro-plastics that come off polyester clothing with every wash.  The micro-plastics are too small to be caught by filters and sewage treatment plants, so much of it ends up in waterways, lakes, and oceans.  There it's consumed by plankton, and plankton are consumed by others on the food chain, etc.  So who knows how much micro-plastic is in "wild-caught" fish that we eat.

I realize that only the choir is likely to read this, but I'll post the Vox link anyway.  It's a much better read than my poor attempt at a Reader's Digest version.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/9/19/17800654/clothes-plastic-pollution-polyester-washing-machine

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr   I have been saying this very same thing.  Not many people are ready to accept it.  As long as this garbage is allowed to be made and sold as a miracle fabric, and people buy it, it's not going to go away.

Our future generations are going to be terribly impacted by our mistakes.

There is little government, manufacturing and personal responsibility any more.

Trusted Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

This is serious enough that it was on NBC Nightly News today.  The landfills are full of polyester clothing and some companies are trying to find ways to reuse and recycle it.  This is a serious environmental issue and it's sad to hear people just laugh it off.  On TV they said "polyester. Is plastic".  There's coincidentally another thread about this about two days ago.  We can all start to change this right here at QVC.  If you care that this is currently one of our the biggest environmental challenges let them know with your wallet.

I saw that new report too.  I did not realize that so many people just throw clothes away.  I always donate mine, unless it is underwear.  Even if the donation center does not want it, they may pass it along.  I know our Goodwill will sell truck loads of stuff that it does not want or does not have room for.  Hopefully it all gets to someone who can wear or use the items.

@Puppy Lips  I was happy to see NBC cover this. There's not enough information out there.  Most of us just have too much clothing made of plastic and shopping for this disposable clothing has almost  become our national sport.

I also consign and donate all my old clothing but the problem is it all eventually ends up in the landfill and does not degrade.  That's the problem.

It's all about corporate greed.  Cheap petroleum base fabrics and overseas clothing manufacturing were forced on consumers because it's more profitable for the clothing companies.  Just a few years ago there was plenty of cotton clothing and cotton sheets available. Then, POOF, it all was gone!  Polyester and rayon now.

Not to go too far off topic, but I couldn't understand why we're were forced to buy frozen fish from China when our country is surrounded by water.  How could it be cheaper for them to ship it all the way here.  Obviously they can buy it so, so cheap  that it's still more profitable to pay to ship it.. 

I won't eat farm raised fish. Yesterday I saw that Aldi's new line of frozen fish and shrimp is all farm raised in India.  It won't be in my house, my body.

Anyone else can do what they wish, but I just feel so strongly about how are choices of clothing and food are being reduced and dictated.  Corporate greed.

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

This is a good article about micro-fibers and micro-plastics that come off polyester clothing with every wash.  The micro-plastics are too small to be caught by filters and sewage treatment plants, so much of it ends up in waterways, lakes, and oceans.  There it's consumed by plankton, and plankton are consumed by others on the food chain, etc.  So who knows how much micro-plastic is in "wild-caught" fish that we eat.

I realize that only the choir is likely to read this, but I'll post the Vox link anyway.  It's a much better read than my poor attempt at a Reader's Digest version.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/9/19/17800654/clothes-plastic-pollution-polyester-washing-machine

Thanks, @ValuSkr that's an eyeopening and interesting article.  Hope all will take a look.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Get real.  Women who think $70 is too much to pay for a top aren't going shell out $470 for that shirt in silk.  Remember you are talking to QVC shoppers.

@chrystaltree 

Being Real w/o exaggeration.  I own many items made of silk, several purchased right here at QVC.

Be assured that I ‘shelled out’  nothing near $470.00.

As mentioned, there is room for all tastes and budgets.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree 

Being Real w/o exaggeration.  I own many items made of silk, several purchased right here at QVC.

That was a long time ago because we both know that QVC has not sold silk in many, many years.   

Honored Contributor

NBC and vox aren't exactly reliable sources.

From a 2016 article from a "science" website below.  There are numerous articles on this subject.

Enzyme innovation

Now a team at Kyoto University has, by rummaging around in piles of waste, found a plastic munching microbe. After five years of searching through 250 samples, they isolated a bacteria that could live on poly(ethylene terephthalate) (PET), a common plastic used in bottles and clothing. They named the new species of bacteria Ideonella sakaiensis.

https://www.sciencealert.com/new-plastic-munching-bacteria-could-fuel-a-recycling-revolution

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree 

That was a long time ago because we both know that QVC has not sold silk in many, many years.   

@chrystaltree 

I don’t presume to think that I know what Is in your mind.

Please offer me the same courtesy, and do not present your suppositions about what I know as fact.

I have purchased as above from QVC w/i the year, I’m guessing you have not.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras