Honored Contributor

Re: Polyester fabric takes at least 100 years to decompose

I donate my used clothing that I no longer wear.  I guess ultimately it might end up in a landfill, but hopefully, others get use out of the items long before then.  I prefer polyester to cotton.  Not a fan of  all cotton at all, for the most part.

Honored Contributor

Re/Done jeans is a company that makes jeans our of old donated jeans.  In fact, they encourage you to donate a jean and get a discount to buy another one.  Reformation, I think is another one.  Some jean companies will advertise that they use up to 70% less water to do the endless washes during the production of jeans.  

Occasional Contributor

Polyester,plastic,Styrofoam it's all the same.....killing our environment

Honored Contributor

@susieq1 wrote in her headline:

Polyester fabric takes at least 100 years to decompose

@susieq1 

Polyester hasn't been around for 100 years ... how can it be scientifically proven to be true?

Even if it is ever proven to be true - it would be an advantage for folks who have limited incomes ... their clothes would last forever ... just keep handing them down from one generation to the next. 

No one would ever again be wearing ragged clothes.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo @At least natural fibers break down faster than poly and they are more expensive.Maybe people would buy less and wear their things longer rather than filling the dump with fast fashion.I read that some countries won’t take our used clothing...too hot and not useful for much after it is worn.Cottons can still be used for many things after their lifespan.

Esteemed Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

This is serious enough that it was on NBC Nightly News today.  The landfills are full of polyester clothing and some companies are trying to find ways to reuse and recycle it.  This is a serious environmental issue and it's sad to hear people just laugh it off.  On TV they said "polyester. Is plastic".  There's coincidentally another thread about this about two days ago.  We can all start to change this right here at QVC.  If you care that this is currently one of our the biggest environmental challenges let them know with your wallet.

I try not to buy polyester clothing but do have a couple of poly chiffon blouses I have had for years. No liquid knit for me.   Every little bit we can do helps.  Use reusable washable cotton bags for grocery bags, use stainless straws rather than plastic (yes I carry with me)  and a really big help is to buy a bracelet for $20 from 4ocean.com   They are made from recycled materiels and each bracelet = 1 lb of trash removed from the ocean.  Check out their web site and see the great things they are doing.  Allbirds makes shoes out of recycled materiels too.  Lots of other companies are trying to change and that;s great.  Use glass storage containers, mesh fruit,veggie bags instead of the plastic ones provided by grocery stores. Look around your home and I bet there are lots of little changes you can make.  And of course RECYCLE!!!!

Honored Contributor

The majority of used donated clothing is hauled to the landfill, even if it is in like new condition.  Some of it is sent to other countries where it is distributed to the people there, but they want cotton t shirts and shorts, pants and skirts and dresses, not ladies polyester blouses and pants.  It is way too hot for their weather.

Millions of pounds of clothing is discarded everyday. As Americans, we own way too much clothing and most of it is plastic junk.  Ladies in Europe own fewer clothing items, but better, well made items.  They know it will last for years.

American's are used to disposable clothing...we buy and purge every year and brag about it.  Plastic fabric is ruining our water too and killing fish and plant life.

We won't stop polluting our planet until we are forced to.

Esteemed Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

This is serious enough that it was on NBC Nightly News today.  The landfills are full of polyester clothing and some companies are trying to find ways to reuse and recycle it.  This is a serious environmental issue and it's sad to hear people just laugh it off.  On TV they said "polyester. Is plastic".  There's coincidentally another thread about this about two days ago.  We can all start to change this right here at QVC.  If you care that this is currently one of our the biggest environmental challenges let them know with your wallet.

I saw that new report too.  I did not realize that so many people just throw clothes away.  I always donate mine, unless it is underwear.  Even if the donation center does not want it, they may pass it along.  I know our Goodwill will sell truck loads of stuff that it does not want or does not have room for.  Hopefully it all gets to someone who can wear or use the items.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I asked a person who worked at a big donation center about their clothes. The person told me that a lot of it goes into landfills because they receive too much of it and have to do away with it. They said there is just way too much and nobody wants it.

Respected Contributor

This thread is making me remember that Seinfeld episode where George decides to switch the Yankees uniforms to 100% cotton, with disastrous results.  Hilarious!