Valued Contributor

Re: Overheard in the Consignment Shop

[ Edited ]

how about maybe she just used the term "yoga pants" in a general way talking about a certain type of pants that one might wear to yoga? 

True yoga pants are more like tights, very form fitting so that when performing yoga, one does not get a foot caught in the leg opening for instance. So what they are selling as "yoga" pants aren't truly worm for doing yoga.

OTOH, I wear leggings, joggers, true yoga pants, pull on knit pants like the ones posted in #11 and anything that is easy, stretchy, comfortable, and I can go from morning to night through my routines, doing my early morning at home PiYo workout, running errands, my evening stretches and all in the same "pant". 

My jeans just sit there because for my lifestyle which is active and outdoors for my part time job, jeans are uncomfortable, hot, don't fit well on days when I feel "puffy" and I certainly can';t get on the floor and do any stretches in them.

this is a "yoga" pant. I would only wear this for doing yoga in a studio, no need to put this on to do yoga in my living room.

Respected Contributor

There are plenty more photos of people in yoga classes wearing stretchy pants with a very slight flare at the bottom -- even the yoga instructor herself. I couldn't copy/paste them here because most are copyrighted photos. And, btw, people wear anything from harem pants to joggers, to loose shorts to yoga class as well.  None of them seem to get caught up in them.

My point being....  I don't think it really matters what name we give what pants. I'm sure there are regional differences anyhow, just like sneakers v. tennis shoes. For example, I call stretchy bottoms that are tight from waist to ankle spandex workout gear or spandex bottoms. That's what people in my area call them when worn to the gym. If you wear them to yoga class, then it is perfectly fine to call them yoga pants --- although, if you google "yoga pants" at the various department stores, you'll see the bootcut bottom referred to as "yoga pants" and the tight ankle referred to as "yoga leggings", which IMO is most accurate. "Tights" to me have always been a thin, stretchy knit material with feet -- what a 10-year-old girl wears under her dress. Suffice to say... if you wear pants to yoga class, I guess you can call them yoga pants no matter the particular style. :-)

Wow, I have gotten so O/T.... I'm ready to be handcuffed! 

wc yoga shoot

yoga

Honored Contributor

Yikes, I'd suffocate myself from my falling girls.

Super Contributor

Well, unfortunately not many  'designers' are designing BOOT CUT pants because they think that everyone has to look/dress the same and you're not with the 'in-crowd' if you don't wear the same fashion...whatever happened to individuality and what actually looks good on your body type and taste? I WILL wear yoga pants only because they are about the only ones that do design BOOT CUT pants which is what looks the best on me because I do have thin legs and a big bust and it evens/balances out my look and that's what I like.  I don't need a 'designer' or 'other critics' telling/dictating to me what I want. So, until these designers design for all of us I will wear what I can find to look my best. One season everyone has to wear palazzo pant, nest season everyone has to wear skinny legs, then straight legs, then flood pants, then this and that.  The designers want to keep you buying their latest design so you don't wear last year's.  And that's the bottom line.  I've seen some hosts that are being dressed in the so-called latest fashions that is not right for their body types. OhWell.  But I want my boot cut pants back...and I will wear YOGA pants until that happens.  

Respected Contributor

I'm sure she was using "yoga pants" as a catch-all for the stretchy pants people wear now. High end jeans aren't really a thing anymore.

Yoga pants come in bootcut, straight, and fitted leg openings. I prefer fitted for working out. I don't like all that material flapping around.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I feel so left out!

I don't own any yoga pants and I've never shopped (or sold) consignment!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

I feel so left out!

I don't own any yoga pants and I've never shopped (or sold) consignment!

@Andreatoo

LOL ..... that may be .... but I bet you actually know the difference between yoga pants and tights!    As for consignment shops ....  girl, I can't help you there!  lol   Woman LOL   

Trusted Contributor

Wish we had a consignment shop in the woods here. Sometimes, I order clothing and when it arrives, I wonder what mindset I was in to order that. Usually, I keep it and when I have enough, I give them away. I have to take sleeping pills or something, yikes, this can get expensive! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I understand why these women want certain items because that is what sells. I appreciate consignment shops being picky. The one I go to looks like a department store. Everything is clean and neat.