Esteemed Contributor

Re: Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade. Should I do it?

BalletBabe wrote:

It all depends on your computer.  I upgraded two laptops from 7 to 10.  I persoanlly had no problems.  My Cannon printer does not work, BUT it is also 7 years old.  I wanted a air printer anyway so , I purchased a HP from QVC that I just love!  I have a friend that upgraded and her computer crashed.  Cost her almost 100.00 to get it fixed. She bought her computer at Walmart. (Walmart uses old graphic cards and I think that is the problem)  My laptops came from Staples and QVC and I had no issues.  I purchased one from QVC two years ago and Staples one is 4 years old.  Hope this helps!

Where you buy a computer has NOTHING to do with Windows 10 working well or not.  It all has to do with the computer specs.  If they meet the minimum requirement for Windows 10, it should work. 

I do not agree.  My friends computer said it was compatible.  It crashed.  I have heard many people complaining about windows 10.  Some seem to have major issues.  I don't know the answer.   I do know that it is different and not as easy as they claim. I see many complaints on facebook.  You might want to ask on there.  MO

Contributor

I downloaded Windows 10 on my ASUS Convertible Laptop and now am dealing with a black screen.....,my laptop is only a year old.....searching the internet for a solution....seems that this is a serious problem and not uncommon.....now they tell me!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would take this computer to a local shop and get an estimate. 

@eurolady wrote:

I downloaded Windows 10 on my ASUS Convertible Laptop and now am dealing with a black screen.....,my laptop is only a year old.....searching the internet for a solution....seems that this is a serious problem and not uncommon.....now they tell me!

Honored Contributor

While I didn't do an upgrade and, instead, purchased a new laptop with Win10, my diagnosis is that I just don't think I like Win10 at all.

I don't like that you cannot control Windows Updates. 

I don't like that they install all these apps and other krap that offer you the choice to uninstall, but they won't uninstall.   I paid the money for the computer and the license.  I think I should have some control over what programs and stuff are on it, outside of what is necessary for the operating system.

I'm finding that I don't even want to use that one and spend most of my time on one of my Win8.1 computers (with Classic Shell so none of those stupid kiddie tiles and apps).   

Plus, if you aren't careful when you first bring up the OS on a new computer, there are a whole lot of things on there to track you and you have absolutely no privacy.  If you just click your way through you are giving them your privacy.  Fortunately, I saw the settings on the lower left side and did NOT allow all those pages of things.

Don't get me wrong.  It's not just a 'oh I hate changes and new stuff' thing.  It's that I don't like what this is, especially because I can customize so little about it to MY needs.

Honored Contributor

In General:  Some companies aren't as smart as they think they are.  'Seems to me' that an intelligent company would know that this would happen to many folks' W7 computers.  Just a few of us here aren't the ONLY ones with these problems............Enough said.  On a positive Heart  note, I've been hearing good things re: Google Chromebooks.  Heard that they predict 17M worth of sales next year (2017). Being used in schools, colleges, etc., too.  Go to the official Google Chromebook site for more info.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).