Contributor

Re: Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade. Should I do it?

Beauty, follow whatever your antivirus people told you to do.  My friend and I both have Webroot and were told by the Best Buy Geeks to NOT turn off or uninstall before the upgrade so I didn't and all went well.

Respected Contributor

The other thing to consider if you're curious, @beautywithin ,  is that as long as you back up before installing Windows 10, you have the option to uninstall it from the Start menu of Win 10 within 30 days, if for some reason it doesn't work for you.  I don't know what your antivirus is, but normally you would not need to uninstall it prior to the upgrade.  You might want to Google to see if perhaps Canon may have changed its stance.  As far as Windows 7 being available for awhile...Yes,  Microsoft will be supporting it until January 2020.  HTH'sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Esteemed Contributor

LOL, I have 2 computers, a two year old desktop and a 4 year old laptop. There is an old expression. If it is not broke do not fit it. I am not upgrading my Window 7 or 8.1 computers. If I have a install problem, Microsoft is not going to be there for help.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marlea Lee wrote:

Beauty, if I were you I would call the Canon Company customer servicer number to inquire directly with Canon whether your exact printer model will get the proper driver after the Windows 10 upgrade. If your printer is newer, perhaps it will have the proper driver!!

Canon MAY have since changed their mind and went ahead to create a driver that works with older Canon printers and Windows 10.  No use going through the time to upgrade only to find that your printer won't work though. 

Upgrade printer info from Canon https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/windows-10-upgrade

Contributor

My anti virus is Webroot too and I spoke to customer service directly and was told to uninstall it and the reinstall after the transition! I just checked and with my Canon printer they don't have the driver for it but it says the driver for 7 or 8 should be able to work. What???? I think this is telling me not to do this and to wait when I get a new computer in the next 4 years with Windows 10 on it and to do it just before Windows 7 will not be supported. Thanks for all your help!

Contributor

Nutmeg, you are the bomb girl!!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nutmeg I just clicked on that link and my Canon printer is not listed on there. I got it less then 2 years ago and it is a great printer. I think I will stick to Windows 7. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It all depends on your computer.  I upgraded two laptops from 7 to 10.  I persoanlly had no problems.  My Cannon printer does not work, BUT it is also 7 years old.  I wanted a air printer anyway so , I purchased a HP from QVC that I just love!  I have a friend that upgraded and her computer crashed.  Cost her almost 100.00 to get it fixed. She bought her computer at Walmart. (Walmart uses old graphic cards and I think that is the problem)  My laptops came from Staples and QVC and I had no issues.  I purchased one from QVC two years ago and Staples one is 4 years old.  Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

O/P: Take a look at two other recent threads: 'Computer lock-up virus' thread and the other 'Forced Windows 10  update' thread.  A few interesting bits of information to ponder.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

It all depends on your computer.  I upgraded two laptops from 7 to 10.  I persoanlly had no problems.  My Cannon printer does not work, BUT it is also 7 years old.  I wanted a air printer anyway so , I purchased a HP from QVC that I just love!  I have a friend that upgraded and her computer crashed.  Cost her almost 100.00 to get it fixed. She bought her computer at Walmart. (Walmart uses old graphic cards and I think that is the problem)  My laptops came from Staples and QVC and I had no issues.  I purchased one from QVC two years ago and Staples one is 4 years old.  Hope this helps!

Where you buy a computer has NOTHING to do with Windows 10 working well or not.  It all has to do with the computer specs.  If they meet the minimum requirement for Windows 10, it should work.