Respected Contributor

Windows 11 Updates Stopping and Not Completing

[ Edited ]

Just thought I would put this out there for anyone else who might be having this same problem.  

About a month ago, I got a notification that Windows (11) wants to update, so as I always do, I said, 'update now'.  The update got to 96% done and then a screen came up that said, 'Oops something went wrong'.  'Please don't shut down your computer as we delete the partial update.' 

This went on for about 3 weeks or so, each time I tried to update the newest Microsoft update.  When I asked my computer nerdy son what was going on, he said, just ignore it and don't try to update it and wait until the Next Newest version comes out, as sometimes there might be a corrupt file or something in the update that's just not right.  He said that when Microsoft puts out their Next Update, it should overide that update and fix the problem. 

Well, about 3 or 4 weeks later, sure enough, I tried the update again, and all went well as Microsoft had its newest update version.  Everything updated 100%.   

So, if anything like this happens with you,  just be patient and wait for the next update from Microsoft, which could take upwards of a month.  Seems like they patch any bugs in the previous versions with the newest version that overrides it.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Re: Windows 11 Updates Stopping and Not Completing

Thanks for that!  I haven't updated yet. 

Honored Contributor

So far I have not had any problems with updates. I manually check for any updates almost everyday to see if there are any pending. I usually don't wait for Windows' notifications to let me know about any updates but instead I look for them beforehand.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My computer is 9 years old and it says it can't support Windows 11. Hope I can use 10 for awhile yet.

Respected Contributor

@catter70   I just read this today, so I thought I would post it for you and anyone else who is still using Windows 10.  I will also add that the article stated that Windows 12 will be out in late 2024 or 2025.

Can I still use Windows 10 after 2025?

Microsoft will officially end support for Windows 10 on Oct. 14, 2025. But if you desperately need to keep using that older operating system rather than upgrading to Windows 11, you can pay to extend the expiration date, Microsoft announced today.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Older computers use old hardware which means it might not be as secure today as it was when you bought it. Old hardware is not capable of newer security updates and that puts your computer open to security breeches especially if you use your computer for online banking, bill paying and credit card use.