Esteemed Contributor

Computer help removing Microsoft password to access computer

New computer....Windows 10... I purchased it from a computer tech who I have known for years. One day in and thousands of dollars later he would not help me. Computer went into sleep mode and then to access it I was asked for my Microsoft password to get in. Fortunately I figured it out. I NEED TO REMOVE THIS REQUEST AND LOOKS LIKE I AM ON MY OWN. Rather than lashing out at him I would like to move on and solve my problem. I am on the hunt for new tech support but right now I just want to DO IT MYSELF. I am computer literate but not advanced 😊 Any help would be appreciated.
Respected Contributor

Re: Computer help removing Microsoft password to access computer

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:
New computer....Windows 10... I purchased it from a computer tech who I have known for years. One day in and thousands of dollars later he would not help me. Computer went into sleep mode and then to access it I was asked for my Microsoft password to get in. Fortunately I figured it out. I NEED TO REMOVE THIS REQUEST AND LOOKS LIKE I AM ON MY OWN. Rather than lashing out at him I would like to move on and solve my problem. I am on the hunt for new tech support but right now I just want to DO IT MYSELF. I am computer literate but not advanced 😊 Any help would be appreciated.

There is a setting that requires a password at startup.  You need to get into your user account and remove it. 

user accounts

If this isn't the password request at start up you have, post back. 

Esteemed Contributor

There is a old expression. If something is not broke do not fix it. Windows have a password for your protection.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. Long story... but I wanted it easy and have no idea even how the password got selected. I had IT person set me up. Microsoft used my maiden name. I have no clue how the password got there. In any case thanks
Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:
Thanks. Long story... but I wanted it easy and have no idea even how the password got selected. I had IT person set me up. Microsoft used my maiden name. I have no clue how the password got there. In any case thanks

This is a perfect example why people should set up their own computers.  There is no reason to pay someone to do it for you.  Plus, you can decide what features you want and select the passwords you want. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

This is a perfect example why people should set up their own computers.  There is no reason to pay someone to do it for you.  Plus, you can decide what features you want and select the passwords you want. 

It's so true.

I set up all my own personal devices, so I'm always in control of my passwords. I went to visit my parents over Christmas and my dad wanted me to help him move to a new cell phone he bought and change his iTunes account from his work email to his personal email. It took hours and multiple phone calls to other people because his IT guy set everything up for him and he couldn't remember some of his passwords because the computer stored them for him.

I'm not a control freak about everything, but I definitely am about my tech. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

In a perfect world, that's true.  But there are many people who simply are not confident enough to do it and there's nothing wrong with having someone else do the work.  (It's no different from hiring a plumber, electrician, mechanic - to do work you either don't want to do or aren't qualified to do.)

You just need to be sure you ask all the important questions at the time or ensure that your set-up also includes at least a minimum of "after care".

Hopefully, the OP will get answers to her questions here.  After all, I've gleaned a lot of helpful information from these forums over the years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu - One caveat:  if the guy who set up your computer selected your password,  you absolutely want to change it pronto.  (Microsoft wouldn't have selected it, he would've had to do it, when prompted.)

No one should know your password (to any account) except you.  And it should never be something obvious like your maiden name or the name of a pet, for example.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

In a perfect world, that's true.  But there are many people who simply are not confident enough to do it and there's nothing wrong with having someone else do the work.  (It's no different from hiring a plumber, electrician, mechanic - to do work you either don't want to do or aren't qualified to do.)

You just need to be sure you ask all the important questions at the time or ensure that your set-up also includes at least a minimum of "after care".

Hopefully, the OP will get answers to her questions here.  After all, I've gleaned a lot of helpful information from these forums over the years.

It's not difficult to do and is not in the same category as installing a toilet.  It's easy because the operating system walks you through the process.  Everyone I know who had someone else set up their computer, router, phone, TV, or other device is lost when something goes wrong.   I can guarantee you, they don't ask for passwords or other information needed if you want to fix or change anything. 

Honored Contributor

One thing I learned the hard way, and i guess this is only good for future reference - don't sign up for a Microsoft account!  I followed that on one new computer, and was never able to change it.

When I got the next one, I just entered through that MS account thing, without setting up one or trying to log in to an MS account, and it never came back again.   You can bypass it but if you don't, and you sign up making that your computer log in, it's the biggest hassle of all time with computer stuff.

I was able to change the password once and it seemed fine - at that moment. But then the password never worked again so I just changed the computer to have my computer log in, instead of the MS account login.  But after I changed my email addresses I was never able to change it on the computer through the MS account.

Tried contacting MS for help and that was an exercise in futility.