Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR GOOD LUCK TRADITIONS FOR NEW YEAR?

@doxie1 wrote:

Grapes are for good fortune each month. I think it is Spanish. You must eat 12 grapes before the clock stops donging twelve times. Hint- Pook for small grapes.hahaha

doxie

Thanks doxie....I had heard something about this and wasn't quite sure.  Small grapes for sure, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@jbnh wrote:

We always have Chinese food on New Years day and it needs to include something with Pork for good luck.  Ideally pork would be the first thing you would eat on new year's day according to the superstition.

Chinese food sounds great.  We will be having fried pork chops with our black eyed peas and collard greens.  Happy New Year, jbnh

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I picked up the "black-eyed peas" tradition when I lived in fabulous New Orleans.  Love it.  I do mine with sausage, and am thinking that this year, for a twist, I will serve over polenta instead of rice...

Try this.   Make a pan of cornbread (no sugar in it).   Cut in triangles and split in half.  Put your BEP on top and add some juice from the BEP pan that you cooked them in.  Soooo good.   You can add as much or little juice as you want but it should be slightly moist.    

Esteemed Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

We have been known to follow some traditions. They remind me of family members that are no longer with me and bring me joyful memories. We do eat pork, greens, hoppin john, corn bread. Someone here posted a recipe for pork chops and saurkraut cooked in a slow cooker. It is so good we eat it whenever we want it. We do have a first footer that brings us gifts at the stroke of midnight and is the first to enter the door. We have done the midnight cacophony ( pot banging) and let the old year out one door and the new in another door. A couple of years I got a little too eager and tried to do too many. I have returned to the ones that bring me memories of my family. It is good to have a day where they are thought of with love.

Everything is cooked before the first so we have more time for family I can not imagine not eating hoppin john. It represents surviving great obstacles as well as health, balance of life and having enough coins. It is fun to read about others traditions.

On New Years Day we walk the labyrinth and take our concerns written on paper and burn them in the middle to release them to above. 

doxie

I loved reading your traditions, doxie.  Thank you so much for sharing!  Happy New Year.

Honored Contributor

We make mochi