Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR GOOD LUCK TRADITIONS FOR NEW YEAR?

@Oznell wrote:

Oh-- this post just jogged a fun memory.  One year my parents gave me a toy microscope for New Year's.  I was surprised, and my mother explained that in some places, in times past, people exchanged gifts on New Year's, and it was a tradition stretching way back in time in her family.

I knew that gifts have also been exchanged on Twelfth Night, or Epiphany too, right?  But until then did not know about New Years'.  Looked it up later, and if I remember right, New Year's was indeed a time for gifts, esp. in some corners of Britain.

I've not done it since, b/c it seems a bit excessive after Christmas (and just before my January birthday, ha).  But i think I would like it if gifts and presents were de-coupled from the Christmas holiday, to make it more about the real "reason for the season".  New Year's for gifts would suit me fine!

Neat idea.....love this.  Happy New Year!

Esteemed Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

We don't have any but my mom had a few -- black eyed peas and a man had to be the first one through the front door. 

I guess we usually do the front door thing as my husband is always up and out before me. Smiley Wink

It is fun reading all these various traditions.  My mom used to say never have a brunette woman enter your home first on New Year's Day, lol.  Happy  New Year.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I picked up the "black-eyed peas" tradition when I lived in fabulous New Orleans.  Love it.  I do mine with sausage, and am thinking that this year, for a twist, I will serve over polenta instead of rice...

@Oznell

I'm thinking of making Hoppin' John, a southern tradition I hear.  I found a recipe to make it in a slow cooker with smoked sausage and collard greens or kale.  Is that basically how you've made yours?

That sounds delicious, Noel.  Happy New Year.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

We've never lived by superstitions so we don't do anything special to ensure good luck.  Life it going to happen regardless and we just take it as it comes, being grateful for the blessings and dealing accordingly with the hardships.

Traditions aren't the same thing as superstitions.  One of our NYs traditions is that we always hug and kiss at the stroke of midnight.

Thanks Noel...yes, traditions are what I was wondering about.  These are interesting to read.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pliqueajour wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

We've never lived by superstitions so we don't do anything special to ensure good luck.  Life it going to happen regardless and we just take it as it comes, being grateful for the blessings and dealing accordingly with the hardships.

It's interesting how many New Year's superstitions there are, the ones listed on this thread so far plus many more (too long to c&p):

"New Year's Superstitions:
Ring in 2016 with a compendium of superstitions

associated with New Year's Day."

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/newyears/beliefs.asp

Happy New Year!🎉🍾🍸

Interesting thread @shell garden!

OH, thank you for sharing these.  I hope you have a Happy New Year.

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

We believe the same way. .......no superstitions.....no luck.

Now, if the OP or anyone else has certain foods that they have on certain days because of a "family" tradition for fun, that is great. I just hope that they don't really believe that a food or an action is going to bring good health, luck, or money.

Just sharing traditions and other thoughts people may have....but, I am glad you posted.  I hope you have a Happy New Year.

Respected Contributor

@shell garden  My family has always done black eyed peas and turnip greens, neither of which I will eat.  I don't feel too badly since it hasn't made them wealthy, either.Cat Surprised  LOL

My granny always skipped washing clothes on New Years Day.  She believed that you would be washing in sickness for the rest of the year if you did.  I don't consider myself to be a superstitious person but I don't take my chances with this one.  The laundry room remains empty on New Years Day!Cat Very Happy

Happy New Year everybody!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

Have to have my herring and crackers......do it every New Year's Eve at midnight. 

SHOWME.....sounds great.  What do you have on New Year's Day....anything special?  Happy New Year.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

My mother's was black-eyed peas, a must on New Year!

A "MUST" is right, lol.  Happy New Year!

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Ma Baench pickled herring with onions in wine sauce. We used to get the humungus sized jar that was as big as your head. I forget exactly why it's required, but I never have a New Years eve without it. Might be to insure income in the new year.

Some of my friends would always have raw beef and onions on rye. That tradition died quickly when Mad Cow disease arose. Now they cook the beef and make sliders.

Pickled Herring with onions in wine sauce...that sounds delicious.  Happy New Year.