Respected Contributor

Re: USPS Shipping -- Fed Up with the answers I received from CS

@I am still oxox wrote:

To say I am annoyed is putting it mildly, I spoke to a CS supervisor and got no where, best they could say is wait to tomorrow. Mind you if an item is sent UPS I get it overnight, it seems that the package was at my local post office day before yesterday and today has gone to a post office 10 miles away.

I am fed up and this might really do it for me, no more shopping

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 9.34.40 AM.png

Based on your order information we live in the same area.  I have never received a package from QVC overnight via UPS.  My packages have come both UPS and USPS and it  takes 5 days to a week.  The package was sent 9/24 and today is the 9/28.  That seems pretty normal for a Friday delivery.

Esteemed Contributor

I am waiting on a package mailed USPS, Saturday it was in McAllen, 15 miles away from Weslaco and today its in Waco. Guess they read it wrong. 

Honored Contributor

@muttmom

For the 13 years I live here Philadelphia to Great NY deliver is overnight via UPS and usually 2-3 days with UPS/Sure post.I have had many packages sent this way but once they reach my local PO I get the package the next day,and it is not sent to a diffferent location

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox Can I take a stab at explaining at least part of this to you?

UPS Main Innovations is essentially a contract between UPS and USPS where UPS handles the initial part of the journey, then hands the package over to USPS for actual delivery. There are similar contracts between FedEx and USPS, as well as DHL and USPS.

The tracking you showed clearly indicates that package tracking started at UPS. (Since I live on the west coast, for me there's what I call the "black hole" where QVC gets the package from the east coast to one of the big UPS hubs in California through some unknown means. We're gonna ignore that part since it doesn't apply to your package.)

• The package will have a UPS tracking number and be trackable on the UPS website once it reaches UPS...until they hannd it off to the USPS (which appears to be what happened).
  • The UPS tracking page should show the USPS tracking code. However, that code won't show up on the USPS system until UPS sends the (electronic) paperwork to them (seems to be done shortly before, or even around the same time as, transfer).
  • Actual tracking info won't show up on USPS system until USPS has scanned the package into their system (which can be hours later, often around when they begin operation the next morning).
  • UPS tracking code does not work on USPS system. As I recall, some updates do get sent back to UPS. But once my packages reach USPS, I use the USPS code to track them directly.

My post office keeps and delivers the packages. However, I can certainly understand a package being either mistakenly or deliberately routed through a nearby USPS hub before going out for delivery. 

Occasional Contributor

It seems like ever since they have begun to offer Free Shipping on a lot of their items they have decided to use this way to ship our purchases. I am sure it's a cost savings to them but it's sure frustrating that it takes so long for us to receive and item and there have been a lot of problems. 

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@muttmom

For the 13 years I live here Philadelphia to Great NY deliver is overnight via UPS and usually 2-3 days with UPS/Sure post.I have had many packages sent this way but once they reach my local PO I get the package the next day,and it is not sent to a diffferent location

@I am still oxox

I do not think I've ever had a QVC package tracked through Philadelphia.  If it is from Lancaster it usually goes to NJ, then to NY. It can make 2 or 3 stops before it gets to me I have had package go to Illinois then back to NJ and so on..

Honored Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@I am still oxox Can I take a stab at explaining at least part of this to you?

UPS Main Innovations is essentially a contract between UPS and USPS where UPS handles the initial part of the journey, then hands the package over to USPS for actual delivery. There are similar contracts between FedEx and USPS, as well as DHL and USPS.

The tracking you showed clearly indicates that package tracking started at UPS. (Since I live on the west coast, for me there's what I call the "black hole" where QVC gets the package from the east coast to one of the big UPS hubs in California through some unknown means. We're gonna ignore that part since it doesn't apply to your package.)

• The package will have a UPS tracking number and be trackable on the UPS website once it reaches UPS...until they hannd it off to the USPS (which appears to be what happened).
  • The UPS tracking page should show the USPS tracking code. However, that code won't show up on the USPS system until UPS sends the (electronic) paperwork to them (seems to be done shortly before, or even around the same time as, transfer).
  • Actual tracking info won't show up on USPS system until USPS has scanned the package into their system (which can be hours later, often around when they begin operation the next morning).
  • UPS tracking code does not work on USPS system. As I recall, some updates do get sent back to UPS. But once my packages reach USPS, I use the USPS code to track them directly.

My post office keeps and delivers the packages. However, I can certainly understand a package being either mistakenly or deliberately routed through a nearby USPS hub before going out for delivery. 

@I am still oxox  And if I can add MORE to this info (which is great, btw):

QVC contracts ANOTHER party to pick up packages from USPS and then take them to QVC warehouses all over the country; that's when there is NO tracking info as USPS no longer "has the package" and stats so on their website when you key in your USPS tracking #. Granted, this applies to RETURNS but it does show the nightmare that shipping has become.

In addition, it isn't QVC who decides how the packages are to be shipped, it's the VENDOR. This was an eye-opener to me but once I found out, it explained quite a few things. An example would be a vendor item that ships from the vendor and not from a QVC warehouse. To save itself money, the vendor contracts for the cheapest way possible for shipping and that can mean a package from CA to DC can take upwards of 2 weeks (this one did). It arrived damaged. QVC PAID for overnight shipping from the vendor and it was there overnight!! The vendor didn't pay, QVC did. It doesn't matter how I know this, I simply do as it was my order that was having the problem.

I've also noticed that many online vendors use SUREPOST and every time, my order takes almost 2 weeks to get to me even when the state is just over the boarder from mine. UPS? 1-4 days, MAX (unless a weekend is involved). The moment SUREPOST enters the equation, it's a nightmare. Yes, the package usually arrives but in weeks, not days. BIG difference AND I can track it via UPS or FEDEX; USPS....not always.

Trusted Contributor

I shoulld have added that the "black hollel" I mentioned is tied to items that QVC ships from their warehouses. There are many items that are shipped directly from the vendor.Packages shipped by the vendor are most likely going to go directly to USPS, UPS, FedEx, whichever shipper or combination of shippers the vendor choses. And yes, QVC coordinates their own shipping for returns.

Amazon does the same thing for items shipped from one of their warehouses. Product goes from warehouse to major shipper hub via their own transportation system.The packaget then enters the USPS/UPS/FedEx/OnTrac (or other regional system) for the final part of the journey. In some areas, Amazon has their own delivery drivers, potentially totally bypassing all the big shippers.

Honored Contributor

@juperier  I've been told by many an individual who is "in the know" that items that ship from QVC warehouses ship as instructed by the vendor.  I should have made that clear when I said that the VENDOR chooses how to an item is to be shipped whether it comes directly from them OR from a QVC warehouse.

Again, this started to make sense regarding many of my shipments once I found this out. It also has to be a nightmare for QVC: they have to keep track of how EVERY SINGLE ITEM is to be shipped out as per the VENDOR agreement. 

I will be the first to admit I come down HARD on QVC for many things. Knowing HOW the system works, however, made me realize that I was focusing my anger towards the wrong party....it isn't QVC, it's the VENDOR. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The delay caused by the UPS/USPS transfer is the new normal it seems, so better get used to it.  It'll only get worse as Internet sales increase.  I can't seem to manage to get rid of all the boxes once they do arrive.

Take into account the longer shipping time when you need a gift or something fast.

@Kachina624  DH spends every Sunday afternoon cutting up boxes for recycling, lol, he isn't laughing.