Honored Contributor

Re: This Makes Me Mad And Sad

[ Edited ]

@Junebug54 wrote:

Trying to figure out an acceptable way to ask this question... Maybe I'm ignorant... and before I continue I just want everyone to know that I have a mentally challenged sister..  so I have sympathy.   However,  how does someone with Downs Syndrome get into college?   

@Junebug54Just because you have Down Syndrome does not mean you can't learn and excel. The people I have met with Down Syndrome all graduated from  high school and did well. My friends son was born with Down Syndrome and he went to community college and that was in the 90's.I have a feeling today, people with any kind of disability who have access to resources and encouragement from their loved ones can do just about anything they want.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99  That is so wonderful to hear.   I honestly did not know that... 

Honored Contributor

This story makes me sad. 

I do want to say though that I was in a sorority in college and it was a really positive experience for me.  Sorority membership is lifelong and I still consider myself a proud sister. I plan to be buried with my sorority pin.

I was very shy in school and away from home for the first time, with 5,000 people I didn’t know. Being in a sorority gave me a ready made family, so to speak and I enjoyed every minute of it and it helped me be more self assured. 

In addition to the social aspects, it taught me how to work well in groups, how to lead once I was a sorority officer, things that helped me later in my professional life.  We did lots of charity work and, at least for us, hazing was against our national rules and so we didn’t. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Personally I think she should walk away because she worthy of a better group of friends. 

Honored Contributor

When I was a high school student I joined a sorority.  All of us enjoyed our time together and had a lot of fun, it was a great group of girls and a wonderful experience .  However, when I went to college I decided not to join because my father was very ill and I couldn't commit my time to anything but studies. 

I am sorry this particular sorority turned down the young lady with Downs syndrome.  However, I am not surprised because there are still a lot of people who shame others for their weight, looks, beliefs, disabilities etc.  These are cruel  people who point at others to cover their own inadequacies. When you are young it does hurt and it is also sad.

Like other posters have stated, the young lady is better off not being with such ill mannered, stupid people.  

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Trying to figure out an acceptable way to ask this question... Maybe I'm ignorant... and before I continue I just want everyone to know that I have a mentally challenged sister..  so I have sympathy.   However,  how does someone with Downs Syndrome get into college?   

@Junebug54Just because you have Downs Syndrome does not mean you can't learn and excel. The people I have met with Downs Syndrome all graduated from  high school and did well. My friends son was born with Downs Syndrome and he went to community college and that was in the 90's.I have a feeling today, people with any kind of disability who have access to resources and encouragement from their loved ones can do just about anything they want.

And people with Downs have a very broad spectrum of differing ability verbally, physically and academically. Some are very high functioning, just as people with other challenges. 

I have a niece by marriage with Downs and the education process now is taking many kids further than anyone ever thought they could go even just one generation ago. 

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@Junebug54 No worries, I was wondering the same thing. It's not being judgmental at all, just curious because on the face of it, it's a disconnect. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Jordan2Those sorority sisters would never admit they were discriminating against this girl because she has Down Syndrome. They can only take so many new pledges into the house, in a way everyone who is rejected is discriminated against. We need to stop coddling our kids,  college is their time to stick up for themselves and grow up. 

I tend to agree. At most colleges where there are social clubs, lots of students rush but not all of them are selected. The members of each house vote on to whom, among those rushing their house, they want to offer a bid... It might seem unfair, but it's not discrimination... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain is completely right on this issue.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are not that many open places every year in a sorority, and there are hundreds or more who go through Rush in hopes of getting in. Grades are a big part of the selection process. Who knows why any one person isn’t chosen for a particular sorority? I would not be quick to judge without knowing more. Again, though, there aren’t that many open spaces a year so few are chosen.