Super Contributor

Re: Sentencing in Rust Movie Set Death

@lgfan wrote:

@Posh Poodle wrote:

When my dad served in the military, he was an armourer. Pertaining to this case, he said you never point a weapon at someone else unless you intend to use it and always assume a gun is loaded. Period.

I wonder if Alec Baldwin had been filming a suicide scene, if he would have checked that pistol beforehand?

I agree with you.  If Baldwin were playing a Russian roulette scene like in the movie "The Deer Hunter"  you better believe he would have checked that gun thoroughly.

Thank you for seeing my point. He would have checked that weapon probably 10 times.

Apparently because I think Baldwin should be held accountable for killing someone I have a vindetta @KingstonMom  against him. What backwards thinking.

Respected Contributor

@Posh Poodle wrote:

@lgfan wrote:

@Posh Poodle wrote:

When my dad served in the military, he was an armourer. Pertaining to this case, he said you never point a weapon at someone else unless you intend to use it and always assume a gun is loaded. Period.

I wonder if Alec Baldwin had been filming a suicide scene, if he would have checked that pistol beforehand?

I agree with you.  If Baldwin were playing a Russian roulette scene like in the movie "The Deer Hunter"  you better believe he would have checked that gun thoroughly.

Thank you for seeing my point. He would have checked that weapon probably 10 times.

Apparently because I think Baldwin should be held accountable for killing someone I have a vindetta @KingstonMom  against him. What backwards thinking.

Some things should not be left for other people to check.  Using a gun in a movie is one of them.  If someone gave me a fake knife to use in a movie scene you better believe I would be checking to see if it was actually fake.  I wouldn't take the word of some armourer that is wet behind the ears.

Honored Contributor

The cinematographer was directing Baldwin, telling him where to point the gun. If the victim, who told Baldwin to point the gun at her, had any concern about it being unsafe, she could have checked it herself.

Baldwin believes he didn't pull the trigger, and why would he? They were just setting up the scene.

I don't like or dislike Baldwin, but he is not responsible for what happened, no matter how much some want him to be.

Super Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@Posh Poodle wrote:

@lgfan wrote:

@Posh Poodle wrote:

Some things should not be left for other people to check.  Using a gun in a movie is one of them.  If someone gave me a fake knife to use in a movie scene you better believe I would be checking to see if it was actually fake.  I wouldn't take the word of some armourer that is wet behind the ears.

Exactly.

I believe it was Brandon Lee's sister, Shannon, who said there's no such thing as a prop gun.

Trusted Contributor

@Posh Poodle wrote:

@lgfan wrote:

@Posh Poodle wrote:

@lgfan wrote:

@Posh Poodle wrote:

Exactly.

I believe it was Brandon Lee's sister, Shannon, who said there's no such thing as a prop gun.

Most people have used a knife in their everyday lives, most people have not handled a gun, hardly apples to apples. According to Armory Expert, Joey Dillon, "Dummy rounds in the industry look like live rounds. They have the lead tip. However, they contain no gun powder and the primer in the back is inert. Generally speaking, live rounds are never on set except for rare occasions for educational shows that are actually filming on a gun range." So looking at the rounds would have told him nothing.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to know why live ammunition would ever be allowed on any movie set...unacceptable and unsafe?  As a matter of fact why should blanks even be used?...and the guns should be altered to be unworkable!

Honored Contributor

Live rounds were not allowed on the set. The armorer  brought them on and she and others did target practice with the guns.

None of this could have happened if she had done her job and followed the rules.

Respected Contributor

She sould have received a longer sentence but I guess 18 months is the maximum.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

took 4 hand gun training classes 2 hours long        2 main points stessed over many times each class    

always assume a gun is loaded unless you looked to be sure

do not ever point at anyone unless you plan to shoot

mrshckynut 

Trusted Contributor

@mrshckynut wrote:

took 4 hand gun training classes 2 hours long        2 main points stessed over mainy times each class    

always assume a gun is loaded unless you looked to be sure

do not ever point at anyone unless you plan to shoot

mrshckynut 

@mrshckynut Looking to be sure of what? Blanks are virtually indistinguishable from live rounds.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson