Honored Contributor

Re: School Bans Boy's My Little Pony Backpack SAYS IT'S A 'TRIGGER FOR BULLYING'

Well, and now his parents have taught him an invaluable lesson...when teased, bullied, etc...don't ask for help, don't ask for support, don't stand up for oneself, don't advocate for those being teased....just give up and be home schooled....way to go parents!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Re: School Bans Boy's My Little Pony Backpack SAYS IT'S A 'TRIGGER FOR BULLYING'

On 3/18/2014 MickD said:

Well, and now his parents have taught him an invaluable lesson...when teased, bullied, etc...don't ask for help, don't ask for support, don't stand up for oneself, don't advocate for those being teased....just give up and be home schooled....way to go parents!

I missed that part. They removed him from school over a backpack?

Honored Contributor

Sydney ~ I don't know. Colliemom posted that he is now being home schooled....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2014 MickD said:

Sydney ~ I don't know. Colliemom posted that he is now being home schooled....

Interesting, unless there was a safety issue that move seems drastic. Wonder if they are prepping for a lawsuit.

Regular Contributor

The parents want to keep their child safe that is the bottom line.

Honored Contributor

Well, it is the public school system's job to protect all children and advocate for them. Children have a right to a free education in a safe environment. The school missed the ball on this one. Instead of advocating for the child....and promoting an anti-bully stance....and using this child as an example of what not to do/a teaching moment ...they did nothing. The bullies have won. And this sends a message to the bullies that their behavior is acceptable.

Super Contributor

On 3/18/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

So much for diversity and acceptance. There is absolutely nothing right about this. They are teaching that it is NOT OK to be different, and that everyone must fit into a mold.

What if a little girl were to carry a GI Joe bag (or something typically carried by boys)? Do you think she would be going through any of this? Doubtful. It seems to me, that females (young and old) are given a lot more leeway in things like this. (Think of women dressing up in their husband's shirts, etc., but men are made fun of if they even want to wear any makeup or nail polish.)

IMO it's just a terrible message to send.

agreed
Honored Contributor

Mick, now I'm really confused. I thought the school 'addressed' the issue with the offenders but did request that the backpack be left at home. Was there an problem afterwards?

Honored Contributor

Sydney ~ I have not a clue....maybe there is an update on the story somewhere...

Esteemed Contributor

It works both ways. As a mother, I would never allow my child to do something that I felt would attract the bullies. I remember one of my neighbor boys (about 8 years old) was at the bus stop with a pink umbrella and his older teen brother ran out to him, grabbed the pink one and gave him a black one saying " are you trying to get yourself beat up?"