Trusted Contributor

Re: School Bans Boy's My Little Pony Backpack SAYS IT'S A 'TRIGGER FOR BULLYING'

On 3/18/2014 SydneyH said:
On 3/18/2014 Vamp said:

Why? He wasn't hurting anyone and I can't imagine how My Little Pony is offensive. If it's okay for girls, it ought to be okay for boys. And vice versa.

They asked him to leave the item at home, which is different than an outright banning. I'd pick my battles if I was this boy's parent, but if they want a battle, looks like they found one........

Fair enough. But some feel that it is an important fight to make the necessary cultural changes, which takes years. I guess it would have been easier for Rosa Parks to just sit in the back of the bus, but I, for one, am sure glad she didn't.

Honored Contributor

Re: School Bans Boy's My Little Pony Backpack SAYS IT'S A 'TRIGGER FOR BULLYING'

How about addressing the bullies and not making the poor kid adjust to the bullies sense of what is manly or not?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Trusted Contributor

On 3/18/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

So much for diversity and acceptance. There is absolutely nothing right about this. They are teaching that it is NOT OK to be different, and that everyone must fit into a mold.

What if a little girl were to carry a GI Joe bag (or something typically carried by boys)? Do you think she would be going through any of this? Doubtful. It seems to me, that females (young and old) are given a lot more leeway in things like this. (Think of women dressing up in their husband's shirts, etc., but men are made fun of if they even want to wear any makeup or nail polish.)

IMO it's just a terrible message to send.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I couldn't agree with you more.

Respected Contributor

I agree you need to learn to pick your battles......in this case I would protect my child not encourage him or set him up for more bullying.

Respected Contributor

I think you protect your child, and all the other children out there, from the bullies. You don't take away THEIR rights.

A message needs to be sent that it is not acceptable to bully. That should just be fundamental teaching IMO, and should be started as toddlers. The bullies won't stop. They will just choose another victim. Bully children are learning it's OK to do this and they don't need to stop because there are no consequences. Then they can continue to grow up to be adult bullies.

I think it's a cop out on the part of the school because they can't, or won't, or don't know how, to address the bullying.

Honored Contributor

I saw a story about this on the news. He's now being home schooled.

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2014 Vamp said:

I thought they asked the boy to leave the backpack at home, which I agree with......

Why? He wasn't hurting anyone and I can't imagine how My Little Pony is offensive. If it's okay for girls, it ought to be okay for boys. And vice versa.

I read that this "my little pony" thing is something promoted for little girls. That's probably the reason for the bullying. He could keep using it and make his life miserable or carry something more gender appropriate and save himself a lot of grief. If he were my child, I know what I'd chose.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2014 kachina624 said:
On 3/18/2014 Vamp said:

I thought they asked the boy to leave the backpack at home, which I agree with......

I read that this "my little pony" thing is something promoted for little girls. That's probably the reason for the bullying. He could keep using it and make his life miserable or carry something more gender appropriate and save himself a lot of grief. If he were my child, I know what I'd chose.

So are you saying you would tell him he wasn't allowed to carry it? Rather than let him choose?

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2014 tansy said:The boy can carry his backpack to family and other activities. It's not a fight I'd take on and I wouldn't set up my son to be bullied. And, of course, I want the bullies disciplined as well.

That goes without saying, btw I asked my youngest about this again, he asked me why a boy would align himself with a 'girl's' program so I don't know how mainstream Bronyism is.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/18/2014 kachina624 said:
On 3/18/2014 Vamp said:

That is part of the problem, right there. Why should it be just for little girls?

Who gets to decide what is gender appropriate?