Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Pooky1 wrote:

here in ri we can renew drivers licence on cumputer.  i think other states do it to.  we go on dmv . com.  good luck.

I was able to renew via mail 3x but there must be a limit or I aged out,

but the process was easy AFA the documents, they just don't have enough people to do the job, and then there are the idiots who don't have all the right stuff  

ugh but what are you going to do?

@jackthebear - I was able to renew last time through the mail - I should be getting the stuff very soon for the next renewal, so it will be interesting to see if I can do it by mail or will I have to gather up the documents and do it in person.

My daughter was only able to do it once through the mail, the next one required the dreaded trip.

NJ?

maybe they pick randomly  

@jackthebear @CelticCrafter   .. In NJ they give you a ONE time opportunity to do it through the mail.  Unfortunately I already mine.  Last time I renewed I had to physically go to DMV.  

@Boehm Collector - well, I am never going to tell my daughter that now she has to go to DMV every 4 years for the rest of her life!

Hi @CelticCrafter ,,,   The one time opportunity was given after the requirement to bring the 6 point documents and appearing in person when renewing the DL.   I had my one chance  back in 2013.  So it looks like I will have to appear in person from now on.unless something changes.    Ugh!!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45@eddyandme@CelticCrafter @hckynut  

New Jersey has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses and identification cards from New Jersey at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until October 10, 2018.

So I guess when I renew my DL in 2021 it will be a REAL ID DL.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@sunshine45@eddyandme@CelticCrafter @hckynut  

New Jersey has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses and identification cards from New Jersey at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until October 10, 2018.

So I guess when I renew my DL in 2021 it will be a REAL ID DL.

I'd check with my senator's local liason.  MA has an extension, too. They just rolled it out, leading to mass confusion (pardon the pun!).  But, as of 2020, I was told, if you don't have the Real Deal ID  DL you won't even be able to go on a domestic flight - it's a Federal Law.  So, you don't have to upgrade until '21, but, you won't have accesses.  It's a PITA situation in some states 'cause they don't have their act together; some states do.

Honored Contributor

our drivers license was renewed last year. we walked into the dmv, walked right up to the window and all finished. people were lining up when we left. we must have hit it just right to have this happen. 

when we first moved to where we live now, it took hours to get our license. seems we needed paperwork we didn't know we needed from the previous state we just moved from not just our license. I was just standing in line crying i was frustrated, but one dmv lady took pity on me called the last state direct herself where we moved from, she got the info we needed and we were finally able to get our driver licenese in our state, that was 30 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

In Ohio we have to go in person for a new license or to renew. We cannot do a renewal online - yet. Sounds kind of crazy in some states that do this because it also sounds like you then still need to go somewhere to actually pick up the (new) license.

@PINKdogWOOD

In Texas, if you are required to go to the DMV they give the temporary document and the MAIL the original to you......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I don't have the foggiest idea what you're talking about.  Never heard of "Real License".  We live in NH.  Don't know if applies to us; hope it doesn't.

Honored Contributor

My drivers license is due to expire in several months...I never heard of renewing on line....what about your photo.....a new photo is required in my state.

Honored Contributor

I heard here in NM an injunction has been filed against the DMV because they are requiring too many documents.  We were a state that issued licenses to undocumented aliens.  We are a long way from renewing online.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The federal (REAL) license is optional in WV also; my husband and I do not have one.   We do not have a passport either.   We do not travel, have never flown, nor have any intention to, so we do not fall into the category of needing one.   

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

My drivers license is due to expire in several months...I never heard of renewing on line....what about your photo.....a new photo is required in my state.

they use the same photo you have from your current drivers license. also, you do need to go and get an eye exam from your eye doctor. that is sent in with the fees to renew.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein