Honored Contributor

Re: LAST GIFT YOU BOUGHT YOURSELF?

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't need an excuse to buy myself something, I buy what I want, when I want.Life is too short.

@blackhole99 - 

I can only speak for myself but I don't need or look for "excuses" to buy things for myself. That is not what this is about for me. When I buy myself a gift there is a specific reason and meaning behind it. What I choose as the gift is important to me and I take time deciding on it. 

Either you will understand what I mean by this or you won't.

- Sometimes there are occasions or events in my life that are worth celebrating. They may or may not be things I share with others. A birthday might be celebrated with something like a purse (or might not), a personal accomplishment that I worked very hard for might be celebrated with a special piece of jewelry that will remind me of that accomplishment every time I see and wear it. 

The occasion speaks to me when it is one that is gift-worthy. Not all occasions do, not all birthdays do.  Birthday gifts, while special, require less effort & thought than a gift to celebrate achievement or survival, etc. This is something special that I do for myself. 

And, yes, there are probably people who look for random excuses to buy things. And that is OK, too. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title) 

A 4lb jar of yellow unpopped corn, and boy is it good, made my way.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut How do you make it, or is it a secret recipe?

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Well........I ordered myself a Citizen Eco-Drive watch this morning and convinced myself to do it (which took maybe a nano second) by telling myself that I was buying it as a birthday gift to myself. My birthday is this month. 

Now, to be perfectly honest, I'm sure I would have ordered it anyway, I love the Eco-Drive watches, but that was my justification this morning. 

Great choice.  I love them also.

Esteemed Contributor

A beautiful Aviator chronograph watch from Evine a little while ago at Once Only Price and I saved 100 dollars off the price.  They're having a fabulous sale on the Invicta watches today.  I can't believe the prices.  Lowest I've ever seen.  Fabulous deals. 

Honored Contributor

@cherry

No secret, just the right popping utensil and the exact amount of ingredients of popcorn to oil. I had to kinda, rewrite my methods when I went from a gas range to an electric range. The right temperature of the burner/in relation to the popper/in relation to the oil and the correct timing of each.

A good grade of yellow or white corn kernals, white pops differently than yellow, so methods need to be adjusted a little bit. If all of the are done I almost always end up with fully popped, fluffy popcorn, with very few old(unpopped kernels.

Topped with my favorite no or low fat ingredients(no salt, no butter) and then I dive in and: Ahhhh enjoy.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 I love your answer...

Well I love Halloween...I just got in the mail the crow on a pumpkin and the crowned crow from MacKenzie-Child....also got a birdcage with a raven and skull in it from Home Depot..It lights up and talks and flaps his wings..and some wonderful Day of the Dead skulls..I know...weird...DW

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 I did not read your previous post so I went back to see what I missed. I see what you are saying and if that's what gifts mean to you and make you happy great. I don't see why my comment warranted an@ from you, why would you care what I think anyway. If I got it wrong, I apologize in advance.

Honored Contributor

I buy myself whatever I want, whenever I want, so the word gift for me is moot. However, my most recent "gift" was a new bed and I have to say that everyday, I do consider a great nights sleep , a gift.

Respected Contributor

Does paying off the mortgage on my birthday two weeks ago count?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

This past June, a local antiques dealer sat next to me at a lunch counter.  She was excited about her latest "find".  She had purchased a string of beads that had originated in Africa.  I asked to see them and was captivated by their presence.  Each bead was unique and had been intricately made.  They were full of beautiful colors and designs. She would not sell them to me as a whole strand as she was in business and her plan was to maximize profit by turning each bead into a necklace.   

I spent a couple of weeks chasing her.  I finally offered a price that came close to what she would have made the other way and she accepted. 

I have them them but have not seen them since that first day. I do not know why it was so important for me to buy them but there is a connection.   They are waiting for me to be opened on my birthday. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela