Respected Contributor

Still a great, great need in America.  Seems like less available drives, but through the spring and summer it was very sad to see the very long lines of people that could not feed their families.  Any amount will help many.  We are thankful and blessed.  Please share any amount that you can.   Thanks for the reminder.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just a reminder

[ Edited ]

Our neighborhood social networking platform Nextdoor, is PLEADING for extra volunteers, donations of food, baby supplies, financial contributions etc, for various agencies, since demand far exceeds supply this year.😐

The converse is usually true. Our community is normally quite charitable; especially during the holiday season. However, some of the faithful donors are regrettably, and understandably unable to do so this year.

Our family is blessed enough to continue giving generously, and donate some of our time, but it just does not feel like enough. I have never quite felt this way. 

It truly is heartbreaking!😞

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

we have an ongoing donation monthly to one of our local food banks.

they are collecting non perishable foods at my daughters work AND at the grocery store. we have given bags of food to both place also this past week.

it is very important to remember the food banks all throughout the  year, especially during these times.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My neighbor's sister works at a county food bank and I dropped off two full grocery bags of nonperishable food at her house on Thursday.

I'll probably do the same thing again at Christmas.  It's a good feeling to help others out. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

The Boy Scouts food drive was today in my area. I think they must have done well this time as when I put my bags out on my porch this morning it looked like just about everyone in on my block was participating. 

Respected Contributor

You are making me get nostalgic.  You must be talking abo...

@PA Mom-mom   You are making me get nostalgic.  You must be talking about ShopRite.  Got many a free turkey or ham from them when I lived in Connecticut.  Not here in DC.  

We do have Giant (which is Stop and Shop in New England/Northeast) but Harris Teeter is my closest "walk to" and Safeway is next closest.  I have used the Giant Peapod delivery once--last month--and it was excellent.

Best, and hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

Re: You are making me get nostalgic. You must be talking abo...

@aroc3435  Yep, ShopRite it is! I really look forward to that free item. We either give it to a neighbor, the local food bank, or save it for one of the kids. We have Giant too, but I usually shop at ShopRite. Although, the Giant fried chicken is the BEST!

Honored Contributor

We have been working with our county EOC to coordinate two

countywide food banks a week.  

Please remember to donate cat and dog food if you can.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

In fall, the postal service usually has a food drive, but I haven't heard if they will be doing it this year. I liked it because you put the food in the mailbox or next to it.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ, Good for you!  I was also brought up hearing “There, but for the grace of God, go I.”  The need everywhere is just overwhelming.  And in the richest country on the planet.  We all go what we can, but it breaks your heart.