Respected Contributor

Re: Jumping in feet first! (sorry long)

Thank you for the support Ladies.  The last months have been so fraught with emotions - kids want this, kids want that - then they call - no we wanted the other - DH and I ready to kill each other.  Now we feel so much relief and are beginning to look forward not backward.

Thanks again, much appreciated

Trusted Contributor

@dulwich  "My main worry now - will I feel the same tomorrow / sale will be in August.   Help!"

Having gone through it, yes, unfortunately there will be a mourning period, there was for us though thankfully it was brief.  But from time to time I do think of certain things we got rid of and it pains me. Sentimental objects that we had for many years - furniture that was made exceptionally well, etc.  Feeling sad, well, goes with the territory.  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you did the right thing!  When it's my time, I want everything auctioned off and all proceeds to go to various rescues.

Respected Contributor

@dulwich

Good for you and good luck to you.   It must feel liberating to have made that decision.   Happy move to you.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich  Can I ask how much percentage of the sales the sales company charges?  My husband will be doing this with his Mothers home and contents soon.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich good for you for deciding what is best for the two of you....the big question is...have you told the kids?

Honored Contributor

Good decision.  Enjoy your new home.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Our lady takes 30% for this she comes in organizes everything brings display tables, tickets everything, arranges it all  -  and for the dealer sales she will provide wine & cheese.  After dealer sales evenings she will have two open, advertised, public sales or if necessary will conduct silent auctions too - at the end of it all she will clear and arrange transportation of any stuff left to Animal thrift shop.  She has come highly recommended and is a local business lady and we have been told very honest.

@Mom2Dogs  Yes just got off the phone - no great upsets as the few items we are bringing they are happy about and "Mum if you make big bucks we'll all go on a cruise". The other comments were great that means you'll get here quicker!   We are thinking of getting a Winnebago for us and dogs and taking our time traveling/moving once all the sales are done then the kids can use Winnebago.

Honored Contributor

Just do it, and don’t look back!   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich

The main thing is you asked them.

My mom wasn't even selling her house but she got rid of some things I would have wanted.  She didn't tell anyone what she was doing; she just got rid of things.    And one box of old comic books was mine and I never got a chance to retrieve it.  (Those could have been rather valuable but that's beside the point.)

You did your part, and did it well.  Now you can look forward to your new life in new surroundings.  All the best!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.