Honored Contributor

Re: Jumping in feet first! (sorry long)

@dulwich

Congratulations!

If kids change their mind and want something, give them the number of the Auction Coordinator.  She can accept a bid from them.  That's what DH's Mom did and suddenly, many wants and demands faded out.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@dulwich  Just jumping in to say I really think you made the right decision to sell it off, rather than wait for the changing-daily-minds of your kids.  You needed to do what is best - and easiest - for you and your hubby.   Your kids will be getting the pleasure of your company and seeing you more often because you are moving to be closer to them, a gift much more valuable than any of the artwork and other things.  So think of it that way.

Wish I could go to your sale!  It sounds like you have some fabulous items and I'd love the English porcelain or china or whatever it is.   

Your Anglophile friend,

Pearley  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I pretend that I am going to move, and then the house is cleaned out.

Respected Contributor

Yes, just get rid of things when you get the chance, if they wanted it then they could of asked. It usuall turns into a free-for-all any way in most families. I have never seen one that hasn't gone sour. My brother took everything and now that he pigged out on it he wants my help to go through it. I finally told him I really have no wants or care about anymore, nor do I have room. I was able to gain access to what I bought my Mother. He is madder than a wet hen because he don't want it now. I laugh inside how greedy he is and will always be. Frankly I don't care to be around him anymore he is so hateful. He in my opinion stole from my sister and I , my Mother wanted us to have her jewelry, and he refuse to give it to us. My sister lives in another state and ask me to get some things for her, and I mailed it to her with shipping out of my pocket, never ask her to reinbuse me for the money and informed me that things smelled weird from my Mothers and threw it all away. Granted my Mother smoked terribly and was closed up in her house, but she never Thanked me and I haven't heard from her since. That was almost 10 in a half years ago. Because of the crazieness I am glad I only had 2 parents and they are both gone. And I know she is not deceased.So I moved on too. It was very painful to be treated like this by my siblings, but at least it's over I don't have to have ugly holidays with them any longer.There loss because I really did love them.

Respected Contributor

Things are just things in my opinion. Get on with life and make new memories.

Respected Contributor

Probably like me tired of being a storage building for others things. You want get it, get it now, no one should be expected to keep all their stuff for them. Kids aren't memory seekers like older people are. as far as money for rare things it should have went to the Mother and maybe that's just what she did.

Respected Contributor

I pray that you really know they want you there. I have known people wanted to move closer to their kids and were in misery they moved.

Honored Contributor

Have you given your kids a deadline to come and get something?  If not, I don't blame them for pursuing it with you.  It can be scary for a grown child to ask for something.  Be open with your kids.

Mom died at Thanksgiving.  I mentioned to Dad a few weeks later that I'd love to have something sentimental of Mom's when he's ready.  I never asked him again.  He came to me when he was ready.  And he told me he'd hang on to it until (specific date) when he was going to give a lot of things to charity.   

Perhaps you need to nail down what each child wants and give a timeframe/deadline pick it up.