Honored Contributor

Re: I'm sick of these calls-giving up my land line.

I can block numbers on my cell phone so easily.

If you have a cordless phone at home, it doesn't guarantee it will work in a disaster. I'll take my chances with a cell.

Respected Contributor

Gave mine up twelve years ago and never looked back!

Honored Contributor

We still have our land line phone and have no plans to eliminate it ever. Cell phones are not a cure all for all phone. In fact, there are areas near us (within 15 to 20 miles) that do not have cell service. For example, this fall we were on our way to an apple orchard vendor and I tried to use my cell phone to make a call (I was a passenger). I got the message "Cell service is not available in this area." Unbelievable in this day and age.

We, too, get scam calls on occasion. But I've never gotten one that has my landline phone number as the caller number, nor have I had a call that used my name, nor had the phone caller number as all 0's. I have caller ID and if I don't recognize the number or it says Unknown Caller I don't answer it. I know scam/unwanted calls are annoying but they're also easy to delete.

I don't carry my cell phone on my body 24/7 but do take it with me when I leave the house in case of an emergency. At home I prefer to use my land line phone for outgoing calls as the call is much clearer without static or interference.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

I remember several hurricanes in Florida a few years ago. When the hurricane passed, the landlines were working, the cell phones were not.
Super Contributor

If you ever need an emergency service like "Lifeline" (the "I've fallen and I can't get up" people), you need a landline. That is how their equipment is hooked up to the service.

Honored Contributor

We have to have a landline for the internet. Also have to have another line, that's not taken up by internet service, for our alarm service.

Otherwise, I wouldn't really care either way EXCEPT that I have a few friends I talk to from time to time and my father also. I don't really give out my cell phone number because I don't have it on all the time. I also wouldn't want to have to give that number to businesses and retailers, etc, with whom I do business.

I'm glad that there is that option for those who would rather not have landlines. We have two and it is just another monthly expense. I wouldn't want to have to be tethered to my cell phone all the time - or even any time that I don't WANT to have it on.

Then there's the telemarketing! UGH! If I had to use my cell phone for business and such I'd hate to see all the telemarketing calls. It's one thing that is probably my biggest peeve. I think that if you pay extra money to have an unlisted AND private phone number you should be able to have control over who uses it. IMO, telemarketing should be against the law unless one chooses to have their number listed and, even so, robo-calling should also be against the law. They aren't paying my phone bills. They have no right to use my phone numbers without my permission.

Valued Contributor

I got a call today from a local landline that didn't leave a message. I was trying to figure out who it was but no one I know has a landline. I have an app on my cell phone that screens telemarketer calls very well.
Honored Contributor

the do not call list doesnt work well....i think we all know that.

i use my caller ID and my answering machine to field all calls. i RARELY pick up my landline and dont use it that often. it doesnt cost much when it is packaged in with my cable and internet so at this point i am keeping it. if i dont recognize a number and am not expecting a call then the phone doesnt get answered. period.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 ballyk said: I got a call today from a local landline that didn't leave a message. I was trying to figure out who it was but no one I know has a landline. I have an app on my cell phone that screens telemarketer calls very well.

You can google the number.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Our phone blocks the calls after one ring. Now on our cell phone which we hardly ever use I got a call one day from someone who I think dialed incorrectly and was looking for her boyfriend. She told me I shouldn't answer my cell phone. Very confusing.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....