Respected Contributor

Re: I'm sick of these calls-giving up my land line.

On 12/27/2014 ballyk said: I got a call today from a local landline that didn't leave a message. I was trying to figure out who it was but no one I know has a landline. I have an app on my cell phone that screens telemarketer calls very well.

Even if it shows a local number it can still be a telemarketer call because they spoof those numbers to have a different number show up than the actual one. You can even get a call from a telemarketer showing your own phone number in caller id.

Respected Contributor

It's creepy when your own phone number is calling you. It's like something in a scary movie.

What I dislike are the calls from charities. They start out with ""this isn't a solicitation call and we're not asking for money. We just wanted to thank you for your past support and tell you what your donation has done blah blah blah isn't that wonderful?"" (waits for appropriate response from you) ""So I know you would like to help keep this going! So I'll just mail you out an envelope and you can return it with your generous donation of $100 or if that doesn't work we'll even let you make it $75 or $50. Ok?"" So much for not asking for money.

Honored Contributor

I doubt if we will ever give up our landline. Our cell phones are used for emergencies when we are out. We do not text, etc. Nor are we interested. In fact many times I have to call my cell to find out where in the house it is.

The long and winding road that leads to your door will never disappear.
Valued Contributor

On 12/27/2014 newziesuzie said:
On 12/27/2014 ballyk said: I got a call today from a local landline that didn't leave a message. I was trying to figure out who it was but no one I know has a landline. I have an app on my cell phone that screens telemarketer calls very well.

You can google the number.Smiley Happy

I always Google unknown #'s. This showed up as a local Verizon land line. I could find out the name for a mere $3.99.
Super Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Linders Back said:

If you ever need an emergency service like "Lifeline" (the "I've fallen and I can't get up" people), you need a landline. That is how their equipment is hooked up to the service.

This has been changed. They, as well as home security system companies (ADT for example) all have wireless receiver technology available. Its an extra device that is installed with the equipment at he home, and a wireless receiver is wired to the home to receive the signal and transmit back to the monitoring company. The monitoring company then has your cell phone number as the contact number for the residence, instead of a landline number.

For home security companies, like ADT and the Pulse system, this wireless receiver technology is all built into the components already and works with both wireless and non wireless (landline). This is the latest technology available. I am sure you've seen commercials on TV how you can access and operate things at the home while away from home using your cell phone. This is using this new technology. This type would not require the additional wireless receiver I first described because its already built in. But if you own older equipment, you can request a wireless receiver be installed, then not need to rely on hardwire to the landline. However, the wireless receiver addition will not work like the Pulse system where you can operate things using your cell phone. It just simply monitors the home equipment and transmits back to the monitoring company.

I am not sure the Lifeline (help, I can't get up) companies have the latest monitoring equipment where all units already have wireless built in. But for sure, they have the ability to convert existing older equipment to extend to a wireless receiver for monitoring the home equipment and sending transmissions back to the monitoring company.

I just mention this in case anyone read your message and may have been deterred from setting up a Lifeline type of monitoring for someone who might need it because they thought a landline was required.

Super Contributor

I mentioned this in another recent thread about this - A few months ago I started to receive calls daily (sometimes a few times a day) from a 410 area code. Of course, no message left when I let the call go to answering machine. This went on for a few months.

Comcast provides a way to block numbers to your line through their website. Since I had caller ID, I would logon to Comcast and block the number. The next day, I would get a call again from 410 area code, but a different number. I would block that, then next day, a new number from same area code.

In addition to blocking calls through Comcast site, my phone has block function also. I did this too for each of the numbers.

This process was getting on my nerves, as well as the calls that came from this area code daily. Finally, I logon to the Do Not Call Registry, and registered my landline number and cell phone number. Calls stopped immediately. I've not received a call from this area code since, and no other unwanted calls too.

I've registered my numbers at the registry before, and this is probably the 3rd of 4th time I've registered the same numbers. I am starting to think that we need to register annually. Although there is nothing documented that says this is the process. All I can say is that each time I do it, the calls stop, and the process works as intended.

For those getting unwanted calls - either landline or cell phone - try registering the numbers on the Do Not Call List. Takes 2 minutes and well worth the time.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/26/2014 MaggieToo said:

"I see no reason to continue to pay for a land line that is used primarily to annoy me."

That is exactly why I got rid of mine.

Me, too. I got rid of mine about a year and half ago and don't miss it at all.

Valued Contributor

We got rid of our land line in February, and haven't missed it at all! No more political calls! No more telemarketers trying to sell me something! So happy! I don't get any of those types of calls on my cell phone. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

On 12/28/2014 StaciesMom said:

We got rid of our land line in February, and haven't missed it at all! No more political calls! No more telemarketers trying to sell me something! So happy! I don't get any of those types of calls on my cell phone. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

When you use any number long enough, you'll get the calls whether it's a landline or cell. It just has to get into the system. I have to have a landline though for the security system--as well as 911 locating--and the savings from my home insurance offsets most of the added cost.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

On 12/27/2014 cottonball said:

We like our landline. It becomes a necessity during a natural disaster when there's no power for days and/or cell towers are knocked out. It always works.

You have a point. I rarely have a problem with the landline, but cells are a mess in any SHTF scenario.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.