Regular Contributor

Re: I'm sick of these calls-giving up my land line.

I know several people (under 50) who don't own a cell phone and don't want one. I have one but would never give up my landline. If cellphone towers are overloaded, a landline may be the only phone that works. I can't see them going away any time in the near future.
Respected Contributor

I gave up my landline about three years ago.

I am perfectly happy with cell phone only. There are a few telemarketer calls, but nearly as many as with a landline. We don't have much of an issue with power outages here and if something happened and I needed to charge my phone, I could do it in the car.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

Are you listed in the phone book? We are not listed, and we hardly ever get strange land line calls. But when we have on rare occasions, we just let the machine pick up and they stop.

And FYI- people get strange calls on cellphones too.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

We keep a landline because DH is unable to use a cell phone but he can manage to hold a regular phone. In case he's home alone I want him able to call for help. Yes, cell phones are getting spam calls now too so that's no reason to switch. We have caller ID and we keep our phone volume very low so the ringing isn't a bother. We also have a phone in our bedroom and I keep the ringer off on that one altogether.

Honored Contributor

The calls I get on my line wouldn't be stopped by the Do not call listing - they come from companies I already do business with and charities as well. Those are exempt from the law.

The things I resent most are spam text messages. I text so little that I pay by the message! I'd never do business with some idiot texting me when I didn't asked them to.

Honored Contributor

We're still a landline family. We'll keep it forever or until AT&T gets rid of them, whichever comes first.

I love my iPhone, but for actual phone calls, I much prefer our landline. I don't want to carry the cell phone with me from room to room.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

We like our landline. It becomes a necessity during a natural disaster when there's no power for days and/or cell towers are knocked out. It always works.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/26/2014 kdgn said:

Hate to tell you this but cell phones are getting the robo calls and such too. That's where I got the call that identified the caller as myself and the phone number as 000-000-0000. I didn't answer it but the number of calls on my cell phone are annoying. I get text messages too telling me I've won vacations-

As annoying as my landline can be with regards to the robo calls, I still find that handset more comfortable to use than a cell phone. Reception is better too.

same with my two cell phones....my landline gets many more.....the dang telemarketers seem to find our number no matter what kind of service we have....

Esteemed Contributor

I gave up my landline about 13 years ago and have never missed it. They are not an absolute guarantee in a disaster and shown with Sandy. Long ago during the earthquake in San Francisco (long before cellphones were common) the landlines went down too.

However you will still get those robocalls on your cell. Hate them.

Respected Contributor

I never answer a call on either phone if I do not recognize the area code or number. I figure if it is important they will leave a message. After awhile the calls that I have "won" a cruise or a vacation or anything else stop.

I keep getting calls to extend the warranty on my car, I called the number back and told them I would extend the warranty on all of their company vehicles, they said no we sell warranties and I said, You don't understand I AM going to sell you warranties and I will keep calling until you accept my offer. No more calls to extend my warranty.

Don't worry, be Happy!