Honored Contributor

Re: Gender Neutral Bathrooms

Believe it or not, Mr. Mayor already answered my e-mail tonight.

"Thank you for your note. I hope you reconsider once you know what the intent is. It's simply to change signage on single bathrooms (one toilet, one sink) from Men or Women to Family. It will not change bathrooms with multiple stalls to unisex. It also won't change the name to Unisex bathroom but to Family. It's very similar to what is in a dentist or doctors office.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact my office."

I told him he needs to clarify with the media because that's not what they're reporting. He's new and probably wants to change the world, one bathroom at a time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 2/4/2015 NoelSeven said: No. Never. Every pervert within a 50 mile radius would be celebrating.

Exactly! It would be especially dangerous for teenage girls who lack the life experience to anticipate and avoid danger.

Super Contributor

Bad idea.

Respected Contributor

I have no problem with this, but I realize I may be in the minority. As long as there are separate toilets (with stalls) my privacy is intact.

Everyone has to p**p and p**, so I don't get the drama.

Thanks for the update, OP. It does seem like your mayor has an entirely different proposal that originally reported. I hope your media gets it straight, because this is just the type of thing that gets people riled up.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 Kachina624 said:

Believe it or not, Mr. Mayor already answered my e-mail tonight.

"Thank you for your note. I hope you reconsider once you know what the intent is. It's simply to change signage on single bathrooms (one toilet, one sink) from Men or Women to Family. It will not change bathrooms with multiple stalls to unisex. It also won't change the name to Unisex bathroom but to Family. It's very similar to what is in a dentist or doctors office.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact my office."

I told him he needs to clarify with the media because that's not what they're reporting. He's new and probably wants to change the world, one bathroom at a time.

Aren't those "one seater" restrooms already unisex most of the time.

Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 NoelSeven said: Another thing to think about... taking your little girl into a public bathroom with men in there. It's a crazy idea!

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable changing my baby's diaper with a strange man looking. What a dumb idea.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

Not to mention men never put the darn seat down. lol

Plus they make more of a mess, too, if you know what I mean.

Bad idea just for the hink factor.

Honored Contributor

Awful idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Don't understand what the hoopla is.

Javier Gonzales is not talking about men and women sharing big public restrooms. He's talking about ones with one toilet and one sink. Sometimes they're called "family" restrooms. You've seen them at places like Starbuck's and Target.

My fitness club, Lifetime Fitness, has men & women locker rooms...and a family locker room w/ a locked shower/toilet.

Everyone should be more concerned that...... an elected official can not express himself clearly w/ a simple issue as this...!!

Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2015 sidsmom said:

Don't understand what the hoopla is.

Javier Gonzales is not talking about men and women sharing big public restrooms. He's talking about ones with one toilet and one sink. Sometimes they're called "family" restrooms. You've seen them at places like Starbuck's and Target.

My fitness club, Lifetime Fitness, has men & women locker rooms...and a family locker room w/ a locked shower/toilet.

Everyone should be more concerned that...... an elected official can not express himself clearly w/ a simple issue as this...!!

Hi sids, Disney calls them "companion" restrooms.. I've used them before when the ladies restroom was backed up to the main parking area. LOL

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee